Sunday, August 24, 2008

Tiny Little House

Our little 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom house is about 950 square feet. It's pretty small - kind of like a condo alternative. It's perfect for us right now, and even though I get MASSIVE house envy when I see homes like my friends' Helen and Lisa's respective mansions, I still love our house. And I'm trying to find ways to make it more functional in terms of storage space, energy efficient (our house actually has NEWSPAPER in the walls as insulation), and of course, better. However, our house is small, but not the smallest house out there. There are all sorts of websites for tiny houses, and here's one of them:


It's a site dedicated to building your own tiny house, and then I came across this picture:


How cute! And I really wish I could see the inside - I want to know the layout and how they keep everything from being cluttered! I've also been watching a HGTV show called "Small Spaces, Big Design" and there are some really clever people out there! So for my next project I was thinking we should install sliders on the second bedroom. That way we could have sliders separating the living room and back bedroom, and if we chose, we could open the sliders and make that one room really big - you know, in case we ever want to entertain. But we could also close the room and keep the second bedroom! What do you think?

2 comments:

Roxanne said...

I like the idea of separating the living room from that 2nd bedroom, but I've never been a fan of sliding doors. French doors would be fabulous though! Of course French doors pose a problem with needing enough clearance to open. We had French doors in our old place in Dracut and didn't really have the clearance for them to open and close so we just left them open and put furniture in front of them. Kind of ruined the intent ;-).

Katharine said...

I love french doors too - but our house is too tiny for them. We'd have no wear to open them. Maybe sliders of some sort is the best way to go.... must think on this!