Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tom Tom

Okay, it's not MY Tom Tom GPS Navigational Device, it's really Jeff's navigational device. But guess who uses it ALL THE TIME? That would be me. See, I'm an idiot with maps and directions. If I need to go ANYWHERE by myself I can pretty much guarantee that I'm going to be calling Jeff at some point sobbing hysterically because I missed a turn or a road was blocked off or something along those lines. Jeff than winds up being forced to find me via Google Map (and I NEVER know where I am), so he can direct me to wherever I need to go. He loves this. Maybe *loves* is a strong word, what I really should say is that he HATES this with a deep and passionate loathing. So we have the Tom Tom. For the most part, the Tom Tom works perfectly, telling me when to turn, how to turn around if I've messed up and it requires almost no thought on my part because its like listening to a back seat driver take you wherever you need to go. I do, however, have two complaints about the Tom Tom.

First: If you are say, speeding down a highway at 75 MPH waiting for an exit (remember, Tom Tom doesn't TELL you what exit you need, it will just tell you to turn) and the Tom Tom doesn't take into account that you're say on a HIGHWAY and tells you to turn MUCH TOO LATE. I'll hear "Turn right" and I'll blink and the exit is gone. Grrrr.. that's so annoying.

Second: Tom Tom is a bit like an unreliable boyfriend in that it will get you MOST OF THE WAY to your destination, but will leave you stranded outside a strange area while repeating the helpful phrase "You have reached your destination". Over and over again. I'll find myself arguing with the Tom Tom, "No I haven't, I have no idea where I am, don't you crap out on me now"!!!!

But otherwise I adore the Tom Tom and since I started using it I have only called Jeff crying once. And that's because I hit "New Hampshire" by mistake when plugging in directions. But we won't talk about it because I like to pretend it never happened!

4 comments:

Mary said...

And what would you do if Jeff were unreachable by phone to guide you??

Katharine said...

That has happened, and I usually freak out in the car and eventually find my way there. Cursing and ranting the whole while. So I DO get there, but oh my by the time I do I'm a basket case. I blame years of depending on the T where I was able to navigate myself anywhere. Driving is a whole other can of worms!!!

Mary said...

Our meeting on Friday will include a tutorial on basic road map navigation. Cursing and Ranting will not be invited. ;-)

Crankipantz said...

Remember that one time when you punched in my brother's address in New Hampshire, and you...oh right, you're pretending that didn't happen.

:-)