Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Fear of Spiders



I hate spiders. Hate them, hate them, hate them. I would rather face just about anything but a spider. When I was really young I would scream hysterically and LOUDLY if I so much as saw the tiniest of spiders. My father used to get a piece of paper and carry the offending insect outside, usually while I was dancing around screaming "kill it"! As an animal nut I know its pretty hypocritical of me to love animals, and want all spiders dead. But I do. I know that they're an important part of the ecosystem and all the other fabulous things they do, but inside my house? No thank you.

Anyway, Jeff hates spiders too, but as the man of the house he has been pressed into Spider Killing Detail and you better believe if there is a spider around, he has to kill it. And not just because he loves me, but because I am a royal pain in the ass until he does. Lots of screaming, huddling away from the corner and basically acting like a three year old. He gets no peace until the spider has gone bye bye.

So if anyone knows some natural ways to get rid of spiders? I'd love to hear them!

3 comments:

Mary said...

You would have loved my first apartment -- it was a beautiful attic apartment in an old Victorian but I swear spiders came out of the eaves!! One night I saw a huge daddy longlegs on my kitchen wall. Had I still been living at home, I would have screamed, "DAD, DAD, SPIDER!!!" But since I was on my own, I had to do the deed myself. Never did figure out where they all were coming from.

Katharine said...

I'm shuddering just reading about that... We went camping one summer where I swear there was a Daddy Long Leg migration going on, they were EVERYWHERE! You would walk and look down and they'd be walking with you! I don't think I slept the entire time.

Crankipantz said...

I don't mind spiders...I hate mice and other rodenty creatures. I'll kill the spiders, but when our cat decapitates a mouse, Katharine has to take care of it. It is HER cat after all...I don't care that I'm "the man" in this case...I hate dead things too.