Monday, July 21, 2008

Upcoming Operation

I got my confirmation letter about my upcoming surgery date. I was perusing this letter, reading the dos and don'ts about this event when I saw the following paragraph:

"The doctor wants you to stop taking any Asprin, Motrin, Advil, Ibuprofen, Aleve, Ultram, Etodolac, any form of Vitamin E or herbal products for ten (10) days prior to the operation. (Tylenol is permitted for minor aches)".

WHAT??? No Advil??? It says right there - no Advil. I LOVE my Advil liquid gels, love them. I am a HUGE believer in my right to self medicate, and Advil liquid gels is my drug of choice. Any sort of minor ache/pain/irritant is immediately treated with my beloved blue pills. I take three at the same time, rather than two. My thought process being that three will work better than the two suggested. Regardless, this is going to be VERY hard. Incredibly hard. Especially since there is no definition for "minor aches". Just what is a "minor ache"? Basically what the letter is telling me to do is to SUCK IT UP! Really, they could have saved a lot of writing by simply telling me that the next ten days are going blow, and I should just deal with it.

Bah. I really cannot WAIT for this to surgery to be over with!

6 comments:

Mr Darcy said...

What?
My favorite romance writer hooked on pain killers?
Say it isn't so.

If you have your mind on something else - like the next torrid scene, or when Kane is next going to perform - discomfort can be less upsetting.

Now there's a thought: a romance novel about Kane. You might need to disguise him, though, something impenatrable, like Cain. See, half the work done already!

Mary said...

It's really important that you adhere to these instructions, my friend. All those wonderful drugs thin your blood, and the last thing you want is to go under the knife with thin blood. Can we say "lots of bleeding"??

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what Mary said is exactly right. Popping tylenol is your only option right now, because all the others will make your blood have a hard time clotting, and that's bad during surgery. :) Make that very very bad. You don't want to bleed out or anything. I had to live without my beloved ibuprofen for 9 months, it wasn't easy, but it can be done. That and alcohol were the two things I missed the most, that's for sure! Good luck and I hope everything goes well.

Katharine said...

This is SOOOO going to suck. What the heck am I going to do without my Advil liquid gels?? Suffer?????

Mary said...

Now I'm concerned -- just how much pain DO you have on a daily basis?? If you're relying on that stuff to get by, maybe you should mention your pain level to your doctor or see a chiropractor. OR get a massage for yourself!!

Anonymous said...

Since Nicole brought it up...... did the letter say anything about having to avoid alcohol??????

NOOOOOOOOOO??????

:o))))). Life is STILL good, my friend!!!!!!
On a serious note, we're all keeping our fingers crossed for a VERY prompt and VERY painless recovery, my friend.
Muah!
Helen