Thursday, July 3, 2008

Hatred for Nightime Noises




Some of you may know that one of my jobs (aside from Massage Therapy) is working as a caretaker for the elderly. It's not a glamorous job, but I actually like it and some of the clients I've been assigned to have been a lot of fun. Well right now I'm at a client's house, and my job is to sleep here overnight in case my client happens to need me. Not a hard job, or mentally taxing, but its fun, and lets face it. I'm ASLEEP for most of it. Anyway, my client tonight lives in an apartment building and it is LOUD. As in there are neighbors that talk, watch tv all night, drunken fighting, tires on cars schreeching, all sorts of noise. I HATE noise at night. I have had insomnia off and on for, oh, the last 8 years or so. Changing careers helped it a LOT, but I still have a hard time falling asleep. I like things to be QUIET. Ask Jeff what a joy I am to be around at night if he should happen to want to watch television. Even if he's downstairs and watching a progam with the volume turned ridiculously low, I can hear it. And if I can hear it, I can't sleep. And if I can't sleep - well, let's just say I'm not exactly fun to be around. When I moved into my studio oh so many years ago, the guy next door to me proceeded to play his Salsa music on level 10 at like 2am on a Tuesday night. Who does that? I rolled out of bed, pounded on his door, and I'm positive I scared the shit out of him because he immediately turned down his music.

When we were first dating, Jeff got me a white noise machine to listen to, and it helps quite a bit. I don't have that here, I can't have anything like that because I cannot drown out the background chaos. Remember, my job is to be here "just in case", and if I have a noise machine on, or ear plugs in, or anything else, well, I can't hear my client if she needs me. So I'm sitting here and WIDE AWAKE silently cursing the people downstairs who are listening to the nightly news at an insanely loud level. It's kind of nice in a way though, now I know that it should be in the 70's tomorrow with a chance of rain/thunderstorms.

Wish me luck everyone, its going to be a long, long, long night!

No comments: