Monday, July 7, 2008

Slack Ass Lazy Dinner Planning

I don't cook. Ever. I don't actually *hate* cooking, I just get distracted easily and tend to forget that there's, oh, something in the oven. As a result Jeff and I had gotten into the habit of eating out a lot. Not because Jeff doesn't cook, he's actually a really good cook, but because we're slack ass lazy. I usually come home after 8pm at night, and the last thing either of us wants to do is cook something. Normally one of us will call the other and say things along the lines of "I'm in the car, where do you want me to stop pick up dinner". We've done this for, oh, the last three years of our relationship.

But money has been tight. Like everyone else in this country, we're trying to cut back. Not spending as much money, and eating out is just not the daily occurence that it used to be. We've been buying groceries and EATING THEM! You have no idea how unusual this is for us. We normally shop on a Sunday and the next Sunday throw everything out. Not so anymore. We've been eating our groceries and planning our meals, and it's a freakin' miracle!

Maybe the phrase "planning our meals" sounds like we're actually making dinners with the four food groups. Nope. We're still slack ass lazy. Instead our dinner tonight consisted of the following:
Jealous?

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

I'm not really jealous considering I had Honeycomb for lunch yesterday ;-).

Seriously, if Patrick didn't cook, we'd starve. Before we were married my meals consisted of sandwiches, cereal, poptarts and the occassional "cooking" of mac and cheese.

Mary said...

Get a crockpot! I can't tell you how great these are. You can literally throw any combination of food and liquids into this thing in the morning, turn it on, and when you get home at night -- presto, you have dinner. Seriously, Katharine, get one. They can be had for around $20 (a basic one). Make sure that you can lift out the pot for easy cleaning (I think all the new ones now are like that, anyhow). Just Google "crockpot recipes" and you'll see what I mean!

Anonymous said...

Oh wait, you just described my life. Make it going on 4 years for us, and you would think with the baby we would cut back but no, we just order her something. Seems like instead of every day, we will have one week where we do take out all week and the next we attempt to cook. Mike has a fear of leaving the crock pot on all day while no one is home, so maybe you could take ours!