Thursday, July 24, 2008

What the Eff Moment

I love QVC. I'm a QVC addict - completly and utterly addicted to the show. I love the hosts, I love the cheesy programs, I love the countdown on the bottom of the screen that lets you know just how many people are purchasing the item currently on air. I love it. But sometimes I have to question just *who* is buying the stuff. My friend Jen called my attention to a jewelry brand by the name of "Kirks Folly" and wow is this stuff SPARKLY! I mean, its like the designer smoked a whole bunch of crack and then went crazy with a bedazzler. It's just insane. Don't believe me? Take a look below:


It's a bracelet cuff with a MERMAID on it. And not just any mermaid. A sparkly, rhinestone encrusted mermaid that looks like she either has REALLY bad indigestion, or is perhaps, dead. Yes, on closer inspection, she's dead. You can wear a dead mermaid around your wrist!


This pin - wow. There is a whole lot of EVERYTHING going on with this pin. It's called the "Stand by me pin", and there are stars and baubles and oh my, oh my.


Perhaps the "Stand by Me" pin above isn't doing it for you? Well *THIS* one has a fairy that's been impaled on a snowflake!!! See, she's been killed and mounted for your wearing pleasure! What more could you ask for???

And my personal favorite? The cat pin. Truly words fail me when it comes to describing this gold plated monstrosity. We've got tiny cats on vacation, complete with matching shiny butterflies, hearts and other items that I just don't recognize. Because I know if Lily ever goes on vacation, well the first thing she's packing is her gold sparkly butterfly. Don't leave home without it!


What kills me the most about all this stuff is how EXPENSIVE it is. The cheapest item is the cat pin at $35. The dead mermaid cuff above is actually retailing at over $100!!! And people BUY IT! I don't get it at all - can someone explain this to me please?

3 comments:

Mr Darcy said...

Am I perhaps missing some irony here?

A dead mermaid? Well, when I go to the QVC site and look at an enlargement of the picture, I see nothing that shows that the mermaid is dead. A face with all the expression and charm of a death mask, to be sure - but not dead.

And it's a bargain at $185, only $121 for this special introductory offer.

Did you happen to notice that the models can't help giggling while presenting this stuff?

Now, for that fairy on the pin. True, either there is some serious deficiency in artistic ability, or that skirt is truly indecent! But impailed, no way. Perhaps she just wishes that she were.

Someone I know has a birthday coming up - and my shopping problem is now solved. Why choose when I can get both?

Anonymous said...

Hey girl!!!!!
I LOVE YOUR SITE!!!! Sorry it took so long to join the fun but what a pleasure it is to read, keep it coming, Sistah!

ok, so now you've got me worried about my own state of mind. Because...... I actually kinda like the "Stand By Me" pin?????
I know, I know, I'm wrong, my eyes are failing me, I must be going through temporary insanity.... and yet????? it's not half-ugly??????
:o/
Helen

Dawn said...

Don't you read my blog anymore? Yes, the 9 months is what you are thinking~only I only have 6 months left. (o: Four kids. Yikes!

So, when is the next installment of that story coming our way?