Wednesday, July 23, 2008

attempt to write a romance short story

Jeff and my father have convinced me to attempt to write my own short story, romance short story I should specify. There's a few publishing places that put out submissions by new authors so I have some ideas to flush out. I'm going to start with short stories first because the idea of writing an entire book is kind of daunting. Now, here's the start of my first short story - tell me what you think. Basically the heroine is trapped in her building over the Christmas holiday and she meets up with the incredibly hot parking attendant (hee hee), they both have crushes on the other and sparks fly as they are trapped together during a blizzard. Is it interesting? Is it something that is descriptive enough? And yes I made my herione a redhead. If you can't live vicariously through your own writing, when can you? And as Dawn can attest, I'm pretty darn good at writing personalized stories! So without further ado:

Gwendolyn bit back tears as she bent her head over the keyboard. All around her Christmas lights twinkled and pictures of laughing Santas and jolly snowmen mocked her. It was Christmas Eve and she was the last person left in her office, desperately trying to put together a spreadsheet that compiled the last 6 months of financial data. She could still see her boss, Mr. Endelman, leering at her as he handed her the manila folder of paperwork. She had just been wrapping herself in her jacket, ready to leave for the Christmas holiday when he’d cornered her.

“Gwendolyn, I need this data input immediately into our database. Please email me a copy before you leave for your holiday”. His smile was oily and rodent like, and Gwendolyn had been shaking in anger as she slipped out of her jacket and sat back down at her desk.

Ever since she’d turned down her boss’s drunken advances at the holiday party he’d been a jerk to her. She shuddered inwardly as she remembered the feel of his sweaty hands as he pawed at her breasts, how his breath reeked of alcohol and garlic shrimp as he tried to kiss her. She’d been so surprised by his behavior that she’d slapped him in the face without thinking. Forgetting the fact that Mr. Edelman’s ego was legendary and that he considered himself a ladies’ man, a delusion he bragged about to anybody who would stand still long enough to hear him talk. And since Mrs. Edelman was the VP of Human Resources, Gwendolyn had no choice but to grin and take it. Illegal or not, the last two assistants who complained about Mr. Edelman’s roving hands had been fired immediately.

Glancing over at the dark window she watched as white snow fell faster and faster from the sky. She’d already called her parent’s house to tell them she wouldn’t be making the drive home for the holiday, and she was now thoroughly depressed at the idea of Christmas Eve all alone in her tiny studio apartment.

Sighing, she bent back over her computer screen. Hopefully she’d have all the numbers transcribed within the next few hours and she’d be able to get back to her apartment before the predicted blizzard hit.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Perfect beginning! You will totally get published. Like I said, you have been practicing for a lot of years! (o:

Hey, careful with those advils. I took so many after my 3rd child was born I got a peptic ulcer. Doc blamed the advil.

If if makes you feel any better, I can't take anything but tylenol for 9 months! or drink caffeine...

Katharine said...

WHAT?? Dawn, are you telling me what I *think* your telling me????

Anonymous said...

Ok so you've got me hooked already!!!! DAMN!
Can you give us a second excerpt as you get a bit further down Gwendolyn's god-awful night stuck with Mister Garlic Breath and Roving Hands?
My mind is racing..... is the creep staying in the building with her or did he just inflict his cruel punishment then left the building with a sick grin on his face? Will Gwen have to pull out in a shoebox and hit him in the cojones after he tries to attack her later on that night?
WHAT'S UP WITH OUR GIRL GWENDOLYN?
Excellent start, you've already given life to your main character, keep it going!!!!
:o)))))
Helen