Saturday, October 11, 2008

views on pinching pennies

I realize that in today's economy we're all trying to pinch pennies. Jeff and I certainly are, and if you go on MSNBC.com that's all you read about. So I was looking on Allrecipes.com for a potato soup I could make in our crock pot, and this recipe popped up:

Slow Cooked Squirrel
SUBMITTED BY: Bobbie Jo "This stew recipe is for those of us who are hunters and are more of the country ilk. It is easy that you can go to work while it simmers in your pot and when you return home, dinner is ready."

RECIPE RATING:Read Reviews (6)
PREP TIME
20 Min
COOK TIME
8 Hrs
READY IN
8 Hrs 20 Min
INGREDIENTS (
Nutrition)
2 squirrels - skinned, gutted, and cut into pieces
4 large potatoes, quartered
1 pound carrots, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 onions, sliced
2 cups water
1/4 medium head cabbage
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS
In a slow cooker, place the squirrel meat, potatoes, carrots, green bell pepper, onions, water, cabbage, salt and ground black pepper.
Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours.


Wow. That's all I can say. I mean, Squirrel stew?? First of all, is there really enough meat on those animals to make it worthwhile? And second of all, no thank you. Seriously, no thank you. I'd rather eat ramen noodles again than have squirrel stew. Call me a snob and hypocritical because I certainly do eat meat - but squirrel. No. Not happening. I won't even discuss the fact that the person who submitted the recipe is named "Bobbie Joe" and it can't get more stereotypically country than that.

2 comments:

Crankipantz said...

I don't even think hunting squirrels is legal...ug...maybe it is if you're south of Virginia, north of Florida, and east of the Mississippi. That's disgusting and anyone that makes that recipe is disgusting too.

Mary said...

That was absolutely nauseating. ICK!!