Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sticker Shock for Christmas this year

So I guess the "it" toy for the holiday season this year is a baby DINOSAUR you can RIDE!!!! And retails for about $300. Take a look:




It's by Hasbro, called the Kota the Triceratops and MSNBC has this whole article on equally insane toys. A Wall-E toy that responds to voice commands, Lego's Mobile Command Center, and okay - this sounds cool to me. A Jakks Pacific Inc.'s Girl Gourmet Cupcake Maker that makes cupcakes in the microwave and FROSTS them. I am a little icked out by the idea of baking in the microwave, but since I lusted after an Easy Bake Oven when I was little and NEVER GOT ONE, I have a soft spot for anything similar.

Now when I was young, and does anything make you feel older than THAT phrase? The "it" toy was Cabbage Patch Dolls. My very good friend, Sage, had OODLES of Cabbage Patch kids. She had the Preemie versions, a boy and a girl, I think she even had a KOOSA which was like a weird animal Cabbage Patch Doll. If I remember correctly.. she had like 10 of these toys and I was so jealous I could hardly stand it. I did get a Cabbage Patch girl for Christmas and LOVED her. She had blue eyes and red hair just like me, and her name was awful. Emmanuelle Geneva. Horrible name. Like the people at the Cabbage Patch had some sort of random name generator and that came out. But I did love that doll, and I suspect that she didn't cost ANYWHERE near $300!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had Eileen Marie. Brown hair brown eyes like me! My dad waited in some store line at midnight to get her for me. I also loved my Pound Puppy.
~ Tiffany

Anonymous said...

Well, you know, Alli's birthday is coming up soon, and she does love dinosaurs.... ;)

If I didn't like the name of your Cabbage Patch doll, you could change it when you sent in the adoption papers. My mom got mine in Sept. or Oct. before they became popular/impossible to get, for $10 at Woolworth's (that'll make you feel old!). She thought it was sort of cute and knew I liked dolls so she figured it would be one less thing to buy me later on. Her name was Honey Meggy! Talk about awful. So I called her Megan instead.

Katharine said...

POUND PUPPIES! OMG I Love pound puppies!!!! Completely forgot about those.. wasn't there a cartoon show as well?

Dawn said...

I'm not surprised Sage had all those dolls. Good thing I wasn't living there at that time. I would have been insanely jealous! I was 10 when I got my first CP doll. I had to babysit 5 kids every day through Potato Harvest (in Idaho) and buy my own stinking doll!

Good times. My boys haven't had a single craving for any of the crazy fads yet. Just biding my time though. (o:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I was excited to see my name mentioned. Yes, I had several Cabbage Patch dolls...and they're still around. I ended up changing all of their names. I had a 'regular' one, one preemie, a baby, twins (boy/girl) and a koosa/kooza. I can recall stories of parents waiting in lines, fighting over boxes, it was crazy. They cost around $30 or so.
It is so fun to reminisce. Pound Puppies were great, too!
Sage