Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Plans for the Christmas Season

Jeff and I are not alone this year in trying to cut our spending budget for the holidays. I'm definitely making a list and checking it twice and I've also found that the older I get the less I want "stuff" as presents. Oh I love opening gifts as much as the next person, but I really don't have a lot of "wants" this year. We don't even have kids, but I find it much more entertaining getting things for other people than I do thinking about what I would actually want. So basically I stink to shop for because all I usually answer the "what do you want for Christmas" question with "Nothing really". Anyone else like this? I know I *will* enjoy putting together a gift basket for my father filled with assorted food-related goodies. (Sorry for the spoiler Dad.. but since you've been getting this gift from me for the past few years I figure you're smart enough to know you'll be getting it AGAIN. Also there's the well known fact that my father saves EVERYTHING and seeing all that stuff in his apartment makes me insane. Consequently I think long and hard before getting him something because odds are good he'll have 10 years later).

So for my father I usually fill a basket with fudge, candies, licorice, baking items, fancy jams and other things that he would never buy for himself. Last year I included the DVD set of "The Girls Next Door" Season 2, just for fun! Once again, something he would NEVER purchase for himself.

My mother is HARD to shop for. Don't even get me started on the Christmas where I killed myself looking for the perfect gift and she was blown away by the stuffed toy my sister picked up for her at the LAST MINUTE! Bitter, party of one, your table is ready!

Jeff is easy to shop for. Can we say Amazon.com Wishlist?? He's not allowed to buy things from his wishlist from the month of November on, and I usually also get him a few items of clothing and stocking stuffer stuff like jellybeans and the such. Oh and gift cards so he pick things out later himself. He loves gift cards!

My sister is another hard one and since I have NO ideas I won't even speculate what I'm going to get her. I've given her jewelry, clothing, shoes... you name it... usually I manage to find SOMETHING cute for her, but it's always a surprise.

The animals. No. I do NOT get the animals presents. I love them to death and would not hesitate to drop large sums on money on them (see any post below!), but presents I don't do. THEY don't realize its a holiday, and they don't miss out because of it. I MIGHT sneak them some bits of turkey.. but really that's the extent of it.

So what is everyone else doing for the holidays?? Oh, and I know its early to be talking about holiday shopping but I'm planning on getting gifts little by little so I can pay CASH for them! Wish me luck!!!

6 comments:

Mr Darcy said...

Far be it from Mr Darcy to intrude upon joyous family occasions - but he feels compelled to mention, quite in passing, that your father's appreciation of licorice is quite modest indeed. It would not be going too far to suggest that this liking is altogether vanishing.

Your father also begs to note that he has in fact thrown away at least three or four things in the past decade. And of course there are some things that cannot be thrown out. Sasha still enjoys sleeping in the most recent gift basket, from time to time. (She appears to have a rotating list of favorites, each of which enjoys a few days of her favor and then a month or so of neglect.)

As to your sister. Mr Darcy confesses himself baffled as well. And selection is not the only problem. There is the vexsome matter of finding her to give the gift.

I remain, your faithful servant...

Mary said...

Well since I sell Avon, I sometimes give that to my women friends with whom I exchange gifts. I also give it to my cousins. We all seem to love the bath gel and that kind of stuff! I try to pick up little things along the way, so I'm not crazed (and broke) in December. Fortunately, I don't have a lot of buying to do. I also do gift cards a lot. Makes life easier!

Crankipantz said...

What? You're getting me everything off my Amazon Wishlist? It's totally up to date and ready to go. ;-)

Crankipantz said...

Wait...are you talking about Christmas before Halloween?

Anonymous said...

Yes, we get Roscoe Christmas gifts. He has a stocking with his picture and name on it. He has a max spending amount of $30 so he doesn't get a whole lot, but he does get something. Maybe to make up for the fact that he has to be home alone for most of the day while we go to three different houses for visits. Roscoe used to get gifts from the "grandparents" as well, but once the grandparents had human grandchildren it was all over for Roscoe. Oh well. I usually don't think about Christmas shopping or gifts until after my birthday in Nov. It still gives me 6 weeks to get my act together.

Anonymous said...

I think Jeanne Bice is on this weekend ... maybe some Quack Quack merchandise for Karen...oh you know I am only kidding about that one. SO not Karen's style but a great gag gift of sorts. I always prepare myself for that Quacker Factor holiday sweater that you threaten to buy me every year. I am at a loss of what to buy Mr. Cruz this year. He's a tough one...the stuff he needs he doesn't want. The stuff he wants, we don't have room in the condo for. Good luck with your holiday shopping. I'm in the same boat with a few people on my list.
-Jenn