Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Twilight - yes, I still loathe it

This article explains my issues with Twilight loathing a LOT better than my ranting ever could so I'm posting the link:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/snow-white-doesnt-live-here-anymore/200911/why-middle-aged-woman-loathes-twilight-encore

It lists 5 reasons for not liking Twilight - and the bad writing is just one reason. My favorite reason for not liking Twilight? The author writes here:

3. We should be appalled by Edward because Edward takes away Bella's keys to her very own car saying "You're intoxicated by my very presence" whereupon she says--wait for it--"There was no way around it; I couldn't resist him in anything."
Fifty years of the women's movement and that's what we get: "I couldn't resist him in anything"?
How nuts is this? Lucy Ricardo showed more backbone! Lambchop the Puppet showed more backbone than this "Lamb" does!
How about if Bella kept her own keys--and her own integrity--and drove away from the narcissistic bastard?


I have to agree that my main problems with Twilight is how Bella becomes a doormat for her boyfriend/husband. How she has no life, no personality, no desire beyond him. He is EVERYTHING to her, and while I understand the romance idea of having your love being the number one thing in your life - it's not healthy. Especially when your chosen one is a man who is dead, sparkles in daylight and stalks you obsessively while at the same time squashing your normal sexual desires. This is DEFINITELY not a man I'd want to spend an hour with, never mind an eternity.
Rant over! ;-)

No comments: