Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Search through Craigslist

Searching through Craigslist I was looking for potential yard sales for this weekend. I also always peruse the "part-time" job category to see if there's any part time position I might take. It's more habit than anything else as I really don't have the energy for a second job, but I still look. And I found this doozy (the misspellings are not mine by the way, I just copied and pasted):

Candidate should look really presentable and also willingness to help and grow. Looking for a really smart, presentable candidate who can not only answer phones in a pleasant voice but do the following additional duties. Candidate has to demonstrate willingness to assist the owner in all areas. Looking for a multi tasker. Candidate should have excellent communication skills and willingness to learn and grow. If you aspired to be a model, love to work in an internationally diverse firm, interested in assisting the business in all areas.. of professional and personal duties. (answering phones, running errands occassionally, ensuring visitors are served in fine bone china, coffee and drinks, keeping the kitchen stocked, assisting in filing, maintaining the office by ensuring all aspects of the office function smoothly , being in charge of supplies, copiers, faxes, telephones, computers, helping in travel booking for the owner, ensuring corporate lunch is served in a professional fashion. Are you a person focussed on excellence and attention to detail? Then if you are, then email us a paragraph of who you are and your ideas to schedule an interview. We are looking for someone presentable, dynamic, efficient so as to give our organization a wonderful "first impression" of excellence, sophistication and class. Basic knowledge of computers is a must... Email/Internet/Word... Do you know how to work with apple?

And what caught my eye was the emphasis on being "presentable". Now as a former receptionist I know that looking good is definitely key. Sadly we are a society that judges by appearance, but this ad REALLY rings the alarm bells. It talks about how you need to be "really presentable" and "aspired to be a model". so not only do you need to be computer literate, attention to detail, be dynamic and have a great speaking voice - but MODEL GOOD LOOKS are also key. Somehow I get the feeling that the MAN (yes, I'm making a stretch and assuming the writer is a MAN), is looking for eye candy who can do all his dirty work and for the low, low price of $10 an hour. Yup, he wants model good looks at $10 an hour. Good luck to him I say!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also wonder what "personal duties" he wants the aspiring model to do. That is sketchy. Nice grammar too.

Mr Darcy said...

As it happens, I was just talking about someone who is highly presentable, and who in fact is frequently taken for a model. Don't you think you owe it to your sister to let her know about this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?

Mary said...

I was just about to say -- and for all this, I'll bet they were offering the princely sum of $10 an hour! And then I got to your last paragraph. One time I saw an ad on CL that was as assistant to the president of a company and had a list of duties a mile long (no kidding). The only thing that was missing was "performing sexual favors." The salary? $25-30,000! Outrageous.