Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Super Irritation

I stopped watching "John and Kate Plus 8" awhile ago. I stopped because it was kind of the same show every time, and watching the parents bicker was not fun. I also hated hearing about their divorce and how the two parents seem to have morphed into complete and total media whores. Frankly I think they should stop the show and concentrate on raising their children in as stable a home as possible without television crews filming every minute. But that's me. I did however read something about them today that really, really pissed me off.

Some time ago the couple purchased two German Shepard puppies for the family. This raised alarms because Kate, the mom, was always completely OCD about the family and house being clean and puppies... well puppies have accidents. But the family got the puppies and are now... GIVING THEM BACK TO THE BREEDER.
See story here:

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/jon-gos
selin-gives-up-familys-dogs-claims-kate-refuses-to-care-for-them/27983


OMG does this piss me off like you would not believe. This family has MILLIONS of dollars. MILLIONS. And they are returning the puppies since apparently this former couple is too selfish to work together and come up with a solution for keeping them. Like maybe, hiring a dog walker. They can freakin' afford a dog walker to come three times a day, every day for the rest of the dogs' natural born lives, but instead. Dogs go bye bye. You know, having a pet is a COMMITMENT. It's hard work. And at times irritating and expensive. But that animal is completely and utterly dependent on you for EVERYTHING. Food, vet care, attention... you name it, that animal cannot get these things for themselves. They need us, their people, to provide them. And in return they give us unrequited love. It's a pretty fair trade, and the idea that a family is just returning their beloved family pets like a sweater makes me insane with rage.

Maybe I'm just really sensitive to this issue since I worked in an animal shelter and I saw pets given up for all sorts of awful reasons. One cat was given up because it didn't match the new sofa. Swear to God, that was the reason. Pets are not just for when its convenient for you. And for a public "personality" like these people to return their pets like it is nothing just burns me up inside.

Okay, stepping off my soapbox for the evening!

No comments: