Sunday, September 13, 2009

Favorite Guilty Pleasure

I love TLC, "The Learning Channel". Love it. If there's a show on this channel, odds are good I'm watching it. Currently I tape "Say Yes to the Dress" and "Masters of Reception", and I am also known to tape episodes of "LA Ink" if I see a preview that appeals to me. But the BIGGEST guilty pleasure on TLC? That's the shows about medical mysteries such as conjoined twins, primordial dwarves, the world's tallest teenagers and more. I love, love, love these shows. And Jeff HATES these shows. In fact, the only show I refuse to watch on TLC is "Jon and Kate Plus Eight" because my God am I sick of hearing about these people and I feel so bad for the kids. But everything else? Game on people, I'll watch it.

Now Jeff can put up with shows like "Say Yes to the Dress", but he draws the line at the shows about conjoined twins and the such. I wanted to watch the world's oldest conjoined twins (two brothers who actually supported their entire family with their work in a Carnival Side Show", and he absolutley drew the line there. He would NOT watch it, and in fact was so disgusted he refused to even be in the room with it on the screen. So I taped it to watch it later. I'm not quite sure WHY I love shows like this, and since there are so many of them on I suspect I am not the only one. I think I'm just really, really nosy and I like to know how other people live and I am fascinated by people overcoming challenges, and well.... I just like to watch them. I can't really justify it anymore than that.

Does anyone else find themselves addicted to TLC??? I promise I won't tell Jeff if you are!

1 comment:

Crankipantz said...

Didn't TLC used to be called The Learning Channel? If you watch that channel now...you learn NOTHING. They need to rename TLC to TEC, which stands appropriately for The Exploitation Channel. Why should they call it that, you're wondering? If there is a person or persons with a rare disease, unique condition, multiples of children, or a crazy lifestyle, TLC will exploit them for ratings. Sure, they'll start out with a special like they're trying to teach you about something you didn't know. And as soon as that special hits a high rating point...POW...BANG...now it's a TLC original television series. Let me name a few hit TLC shows to make my point. 17 Kids and Counting (oh excuse me...it's 18...uhm 19 now), Jon and Kate plus 8 (and a divorce), 16 and pregnant, 7 Primodial Dwarfs, Little People Big World, Who Wants to Marry a Giant, The Worlds OLDEST Conjoined Twins, The Half Ton Man...and my personal favorite Toddlers and Tiaras. Really?