Monday, January 5, 2009

Baby Gift

As a first time mom to be I am curious about this whole "baby gift" thing. Everyone I talk to now who knows I am pregnant asks me what my husband is going to get me when I have a baby. Now... correct me if I'm wrong.. didn't he "give" me the baby??? Not to be graphic, but I think it's kind of odd.

Example: At work today we were talking about things we'd get if we had the money and I brought up the blue diamond ring that I saw at Zales. Here's what the woman I work with said:

Co-Worker: "Oh, your husband will get you that when you have your baby"

Me: *after I spit out my water* "No, I don't think he's shelling out $2,000 on a ring, just not happening".

Co-worker: "Don't be surprised if you do. My friend wanted a 3 carat diamond ring with diamond side stones when she had a baby and her husband got it for her".

Me: "Well that's nice of him but I know for a fact Jeff is NOT getting my a blue diamond ring".

Co-worker: "You should take him to the store and show it to him anyway, you never know".

I had the sense there to drop the whole thing, and while I think it's sweet her friend got such a huge ring when she gave birth, I think I can safely say I will NOT be getting a blue diamond ring when I go into labor. So has anyone else heard of the whole "baby gift" thing??? If so, maybe you could all take up a collection and then maybe, just maybe, I'll get that blue diamond ring after all!

:-)

4 comments:

Crankipantz said...

I'm so glad that Katharine is reasonable with all of this...it seems as if, in all of life's important situations (ie. weddings and births in particular) the husband, boyfriend, or siginificant whatever, is not really part of the event, but simply goes along for the ride and has no active role. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't live in the 50s where guys just went to work and paid the bills while the wife stayed home to raise the kids, baked cookies, cleaned, and did all the laundry and shopping (which is a lot of work in itself by the way). Now don't get me wrong here...I appreciate what she has to deal with for 9 months to deliver a healthy baby and if I had an extra $2000 lying around at the bottom of the cookie jar, I would love to buy all kinds of great gifts for Katharine...and not for having a baby...just because. Just because.

Hope said...

Nothing says fiscal responsibility like spending thousands of dollars on jewelry when you have a new baby to support. :p Your coworker is silly!

Or perhaps I am just bitter because I have neither a baby nor a rock. ;)

Mary said...

I have heard of this and the even more tasteless name for it is a "push present."

Yes. You read that correctly.

Unknown said...

Yes, I have heard it called a "push present" on the pregnancy message board I used to frequent. Some of my real life friends received small jewelry gifts that cost nowhere near $2000 and that were given to them more as a commemoration of them becoming a mom for the first time than anything else. I will admit, I did get a nice Coach bag. It doubled as a birthday gift. I didn't ask for it and I wasn't bringing Mike around to jewelry stores pointing out stuff. So yes, I have heard of it, but I think a $2000 blue diamond ring is the craziest thing I've heard since the message board post in which the person was getting "Sapphires if it was a boy and pink diamonds if it was a girl".