Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Pregnancy


I have one more pregnancy question, and I apologize for all the baby related posts and promise I'll try and find a wider range of topics, but this one has been with me all week.


Right now I'm 16 weeks pregnant. Here's what Babycenter has to tell me about that:

Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length . Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too.


I don't know if you caught it, but they compare baby to an avocado. Last week baby was the size of a lemon. Before that, a fig. And so on and so on... why all the food metaphors Babycenter?? I'm just curious because the fig one actually threw me for a loop. I have no idea how big a fig actually IS!! Now I find myself in the produce section of the supermarket looking at all the different fruits and vegetables and wondering how big baby is. It's just so odd because from day one I've been given a piece of fruit or vegetable to show me the relative size of my baby. Does anyone else think this is weird or is it just me??? I'm also wondering when I'm going to start moving up, you know, like a cantaloupe or a watermelon or something. :-)

2 comments:

Crankipantz said...

I don't know...I think I prefer fruit comparisons to say...your baby is the size of a Perdue drumstick (or something equally as witty). :-P

Unknown said...

I thought it was helpful to know exactly how big the baby was and it gave me some sort of reference point, however, I'd always think, "If the baby is only the size of a small piece of fruit, then how come I'm the size of a large farm animal?"