Thursday, January 8, 2009

Disgust with the fascination we have for Celebrity Diets

You know what I really, really hate?? When celebrities go on covers of magazines to talk about how they got in great shape. When talking about their great shapes they either take one of two different routes.

The first route is annoying and it goes something like this:
I never diet. I exercise about an hour a day and occasionally go hiking with my dog. I guess it's just my metabolism - usually followed by a giggle and talk about how hideously disfigured they were in High School.

The second route is equally as irritating and it will usually be a super strict diet and exercise routine that nobody else could possible imitate. For example, Gwyneth Paltrow's new holiday diet to lose weight includes the following:

Banned substances on the no-fun diet list include dairy, gluten, meat, shellfish, all processed food, fatty nuts, potatoes and other related vegetables, condiments, sugar, alcohol, caffeine or fizzy drinks.

Now I ask you, does that sound like a diet ANYBODY could follow if they didn't have say, a personal chef to make meals for them everyday? And if you DID have a personal chef, would you want to waste their talents on a diet that had such restrictions?? Ick. No thank you.

I guess I get really annoyed by stories like this because celebrities are payed a LOT of money to maintain their shape/figure and have TEAMS of people who help them look their best at all times. Personal trainers, chefs, make-up artists, people who shop for them, dress them, and generally spend their time following them around so they look good 24/7. So to be told that I too could look like they do irritates the crap out of me. If I remember to put earrings on in the morning, it's a good day!!! Oh, and these people are all air brushed so it doesn't really matter anyway if I follow their guidelines because I STILL won't look like them.

Rant over!!

No comments: