Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Wedding Registry

So apparently Waterford Wedgewood is declaring bankruptcy.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/world/2009-01-05-waterford_N.htm

It's very sad to see such a famous institution facing such difficulties but it got me thinking. Jeff and I didn't register for fine china when we got married. We registered for a few practical things like everyday tableware, towels, and things of that nature. But no china. The reason for this was twofold.

First: Jeff was married previously and he said he and his ex-wife almost *never* used their fine china.

Second: I didn't really see the need. Fine china means you need a place to store it, a dining room to actually USE it in, and other stuff along those lines. We don't have that, so no china for us.

Now that I read that such a famous crystal and china maker is going out of business I have to wonder if this is more common than I thought. Are more and more people NOT registering for, or purchasing fine crystal and china? My question is, does anyone out there have fine china or crystal? If so, do you use it?? Inquiring minds want to know!

4 comments:

Hope said...

We have fine china, that Kristian's parents gave us a month or so ago (no wedding = no registry :p). We used it for Christmas dinner.

Mary said...

I have Waterford crystal wineglasses that I bought in Ireland many, MANY years ago. The only time I use them is when I have a dinner party -- and that is rarely, if ever, these days! I'm always afraid I'll break one.

Now my cousin, on the other hand, uses the china she got for her wedding in 1988 all the time. They are her everyday dishes and can be thrown into the dishwasher, etc.

I have my mother's fine china packed away in the event that I ever have a dining room to use/display them in. However, this china is really delicate and as it's from 1960, certainly is not dishwasher safe.

Roxanne said...

We received china as a wedding gift but haven't used it yet. We finally have a real dining room table now so maybe one day soon. It just always felt wrong to use fine china on a hand-me-down Ikea table.

Unknown said...

I registered for, and have, a fine china set that is currently being stored in my parents' basement. I registered for it because it was something I thought we should have in case we had to host a party and I would never buy such things for myself. Since my parents seem to host all the formal gatherings in our family, I have never had to use it. Too bad though, because it is quite lovely. Someday when I have to start hosting the holidays (NOOOO!!!), I'll bust it out I guess. We didn't register for Waterford or Wedgewood anything.