Sunday, December 28, 2008

Pregnancy

Well I'm at 14 weeks and I've already learned some very interesting tidbits about pregnancy... and I thought I'd share.

1. The pregnancy glow? A lie. A big fat lie.. there is no pregnancy glow when you're exhausted and nauseous. All my pregnancy glow comes from the make-up brush thank you very much.
2. I can't even begin to describe the hunger that comes when you are pregnant. It's a hunger ALL THE TIME. From the time you wake up until the time you go to bed. And God forbid you not give in to the hunger and eat something - your body *will* get even by sending you running to the bathroom with a nausea that has you retching.
3. That pre-natal vitamins will give you fabulous skin and hair. Another lie. My skin is completely broken out and my hair is AWFUL. I am NOT looking good if you get my drift.
4. Do NOT mention you are pregnant if you can help it. If you do, be prepared for everyone to tell you complete and utter horror stories about pregnancy, labor and delivery, and raising children. EVERYONE wants to tell you some graphically detailed nightmare that will leave you ready to yank your hair and run screaming down the street.
5. Grape juice first thing in the morning is bad. Just trust me on this one.
6. Say goodbye to your favorite foods - apparently they are all lethal and should be avoided at all costs. Sushi, caffeine, deli meat, rare meat, raspberry tea (who KNEW??) are all bye bye. I don't need to mention booze, do I???


I'm sure I'll have more tidbits to share, but I just wanted to set the record straight for all of you in case you're curious! Happy New Year and see you all in 2009!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Whatever possesses people to tell these horror stories?? When my mother was sick, EVERYONE had a story to tell about so-and-so's aunt who was dying, who else had my mother's disease who lived only 3 months, etc., etc.

DON'T HELP, PEOPLE! That old saying, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" definitely applies here.

I can't offer firsthand pregnancy experience, but I am told the first trimester is the worst. Hang in there, Katharine.

Dawn said...

Don't worry. You are going to be entering the "good" phase soon. That's when the glow happens and you feel better. Then you get into my phase. Big, fat, tired, can barely walk, swollen ankles...(o: Enjoy your pregnancy. I love being pregnant, despite all the above things. Plus, I don't have many horrible birthing stories. I think the giving birth part is the best part. Labor pains and all. (Plus I am a huge advocate for drugs) I'm beginning to see why I have (almost) four kids. Good thing this is the last. (o: If you want some good stories, let me know. I have plenty.