Thursday, August 27, 2009

Newest Idea

There's a video on CNN.com about this family that is not grocery shopping for a month and instead is going to eat what they already have. The rules were no grocery shopping unless for milk, and eating out once a week. The woman estimates she's saving $800 a month. Very interesting. I'm tempted to try it since Jeff and I, while having cut down on our eating out quite a bit, still eat out way too much. Also, we're not that great about planning meals ahead of time. In fact, we suck at planning out our meals ahead of time. Maybe instead of a month, we'll do something a little easier, like two weeks?? Or is that just silly??? The woman on the video made a very good point of saying that we all have things in our freezer that we just forget are there... and that's certainly true for Jeff and I. In fact, maybe tomorrow I'll go through our freezer and cabinets and take stock of what we do have and throw out what has been in there since the earth cooled. From there I can kind of get an idea of what we eat and what we would need to stock up on.

I'm actually kind of excited about this.. which is kind of sad in a way... but excited regardless. Feel free to leave me any tips you might have - I'm going to need them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the thought of only going to the grocery store once a month, and do agree there would be less waste that way... but what about stuff like fruit and lettuce? That can't last a month. One trick I try is write a list of mandatory things I need, and then just use one of the hand held baskets. Even if I end up tossing an extra thing or two in, that sucker gets heavy so fast, that I hardly buy anything.