Wednesday, August 26, 2009

New Annnoyance

I'm just curious why it is if you mention to someone that a particular topic bothers/disturbs/makes you sick to your stomach, and that seems to signal some sort of trigger in the person to tell you a story ABOUT THE VERY THING YOU MENTIONED MADE YOU WANT TO RUN TO THE BATHROOM TO GET VIOLENTLY ILL.

I mention this because my birthday is coming up and my father is treating me to lobster. I love lobster but I hate, hate, hate the way they are killed. I actually didn't eat lobster for 29 years because I was traumatized at a young age by the whole lobster killing thing. See, my mother one day brought home live lobsters for dinner. A treat for the family, right? Well her mistake was letting the lobsters crawl around on the floor before sending them to the big lobster pot in the sky. My sister and I were delighted with the lobsters. We NAMED THEM. We seriously thought they were going to be our new pets and would live in our bathtub. Needless to say when my mother served them for DINNER we were not happy. My sister and I buried them in the backyard. We were NOT HAPPY. So I never ate lobster after that. But I met Jeff. Jeff LOVES lobster, loves it and eventually I tried it and got to like it. But I still don't like the whole boiled alive thing, and I refuse to pick out my own lobster since the whole idea seems so cruel. Lobster is a treat. Lobster can be killed by other people, and sometimes I make a suggestion that perhaps the lobster can be killed humanely by driving a knife through his little head. Of course people look at me like I am NUTS when I make this suggestion, but I still try.

The point of the story is that when I mention how upset the boiling alive thing makes me, someone will tell me how they saw some horrible other form of killing an animal in GRAPHIC DETAIL. Why?? Didn't I already mention that topics like that bother me? That I stopped eating pork for 5 years after watching "Babe"? Still the stories come.

Which also reminds me of something my Grandmother said to me once. In an effort to be nice, she gave me her old, vintage, and quite beautiful fur coat. Why did she give this to me? According to my grandmother giving me a fur coat was perfect because I "love animals". I shit you not people... I love animals = fur coat. I gave it to my sister and it looks fabulous on her.

No comments: