Friday, August 7, 2009

Crazy, Neurotic Dog

Monty is on Valium.

Seriously, our dog has a PRESCRIPTION for VALIUM! Apparently sleeping 20 hours a day is very stressful and Monty just can't handle it. I think I've written before that Monty has had seizures, well two weeks ago I woke up to an EXTREME close-up of Monty panting and drooling. His face was like 2 inches from mine, and he proceeded to walk from me, to the bottom of the bed and back again for like an HOUR. All the time panting and drooling. We thought initially he was having another seizure so we hustled him downstairs (last time he had a seizure he practically fell down the stairs and we didn't want him to repeat that scary performance). But this episode was different in the sense that he had coordination still, recognized his name, and wasn't doing circles. We held off taking him to the Animal Er and instead made an appointment with his vet.

Our vet's verdict?? It's stress related behavior and she blames it on barometric pressure, which apparently is quite high this time of year and she's seeing these symptoms more and more. Honestly, I don't get it. I don't understand how barometric pressure has anything to do with Monty's stress level, but I didn't argue. It of course doesn't help that we had the fireworks incident AND a new baby who can scream his little lungs out at any time of day. I know personally I have moments of stress, so I guess it makes sense Monty would feel it too. But at the same time, REALLY?? I mean.. he's a DOG.. and while I love him to death his life is not exactly stressful. He's got NO responsibilities, and his every need is catered to. He has toys and blankets and his own custom made clothing, he gets vet care and groomed... I just do not get it. Anyway, I did figure out that taking him for a nice long nightly walk helps his stress level (we've been so tired that we've been sadly lax in the taking for a walk department), and we've also blocked the upstairs. Mainly because I get so little sleep that being woken up by a drooling and panting dog with peanut butter breath is not high on my list of "must haves".

So for now he seems to have settled down again and we haven't seen that stress behavior, which is a good thing because we now have drool spots on our sofa and I have no clue as to how to get them out!

1 comment:

Mary said...

DOG stress? And the vet thinks it's caused by BAROMETRIC PRESSURE?! Is she for real?!