Thursday, August 13, 2009

Funny Experience Interviewing

Over the course of my life I cannot BEGIN to tell you how many interviews I've been on. I've been on interviews where I haven't even exactly known what the position IS (thanks to employment agencies who would sometimes calls and tell me to get over to a particular company THAT DAY for a job that I didn't know anything about). Regardless, I always went on the interview because I really believe the more you interview, the better you get at it. And since I'm not particularly great at "selling myself", I need practice to get the hang of things. Anyway, a friend of mine reminded me of this one funny story of an interview I went on years ago, and I had actually forgotten about it until she reminded me.

I went on an interview for an administrative position with a high end company that chartered jets for wealthy, wealthy people. I didn't QUITE understand the role, but I went regardless. It was a late night interview, 6pmish and it was winter. So it was dark and COLD out, with the wind in particular just whipping through you as you walked. I went in, had my interview, and it seemed to go fairly well (though I am a bad judge of this part. I've been on interviews where I think I've landed job and never heard from them again, and I've been on interviews that I thought I've tanked and been offered the position). I said goodbye and got my jacket and left. Now remember, I went in after hours for this interview, so the woman and her assistant locked the door after I left.

I bundle up, grab my items and leave. I start walking towards the T to get home and casually put my hand in my pocket. No T pass. I put my hand in my other pocket. No keys. I stop walking and do a thorough search.. no pass.. no keys.. and suddenly I realize this is NOT MY JACKET. I have walked away with someone else's jacket. I have to turn around and head back to the office where I am forced to bang on the door until the interviewer comes out to see who the crazy person is outside. I have to explain that I took the wrong jacket.. and of course it is the INTERVIEWERS' JACKET. Of course it is. It couldn't be someone else's, it HAS to be the interviewer's. I try to laugh it off, I get the correct jacket and head home. Funny enough, I never got another call from them.

Now, in my defense both the jackets were the same brand and style, oh and black. They really were identical jackets, though her jacket was not quite as beat up as mine was. At the time I was mortified, but years later I had completely forgotten this humiliation. Anyone else have any funny interview stories they'd like to share?

1 comment:

Mary said...

I don't know if this was exactly funny, but it's an "OMG, I don't believe this one!" story. I went on an interview where the guy came in chewing a Starburst candy and picking it out of his teeth. He then extended his hand to shake mine. Horrified? You bet I was. Grossed out? Beyond belief.

These people walk amongst us!