Thursday, July 16, 2009

New Life

So for all my friends who don't have squalling and squawking infants, I'd have to say the hardest part of being a parent is NOT the lack of sleep. Though you are soooo tired... and you know you'd fall asleep if you just lay your head down for a minute... It's the fact that you have no time for yourself. None. I know what you're thinking.. what about when the baby sleeps?? Well yes, Nathan sleeps a lot, but it's not the same thing. You are SCRAMBLING during his sleep time to accomplish all the things that you used to have all day for. You have maybe 1 hour to do the following:
  • Read a Book
  • Watch a movie or tv show
  • Take a shower
  • Get dressed for the day
  • Do laundry
  • Clean the house
  • Run an errand (bonus points for this as you obviously need to take the baby WITH you, and he may be like Nathan and NOT happy about being buckled into his car seat)
  • Spend time with your husband (HA HA!!! This so NEVER makes the list. By the time Jeff and I go to bed I drape one arm over him before passing out in a deep, deep sleep that has me drooling into his shoulder - that's our romantic time).

It's near impossible to do ANYTHING on this list in the time that Nathan sleeps. See, one eye is always ON your baby. Is he sleeping? Is he fussy? Is he making a weird noise that you suddenly need to worry about? And Nathan also prefers during the day (really, anytime) to sleep ON one of us. He's happiest if he's on our laps all cuddled up. And while it's ADORABLE that he does this.. it also severely limits what you can do. You're limited to attempting to watch a show (and it took me almost 2 hours last night to watch one episode of "Warehouse 13" as I had to keep stopping it and rewinding. Thank God for TIVO is all I have to say.) Or you can maybe a read a book. That's a better option, and I made my way through a new book last week in the time that Nathan spent on my lap. But still.. you have to prepared to stop whatever you are doing at any second because at some point your baby is going to SCREAM his little head off and demand IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.

So yes, the lack of sleep does suck. But it's the fact that your whole life is now revolving around this tiny person that is probably the hardest thing to adjust to.

Any questions??? ;-)

3 comments:

Mary said...

What happens if you DON'T put him on your lap all the time -- like if you let him sleep in the carrier or swing or whatever?

Katharine said...

Nathan hates the bouncy seat... so that's out. He tolerates the swing right now, and we also attempt to put him in his crib to sleep as well. But I'd say during the day, 75% of the time he's in our laps.

Anonymous said...

I would gladly give up reading a book and cleaning the house to finally have a baby in my arms. You might get my sympathy if he gets sick and is puking all over you, but for now, I'd trade in a heartbeat!