Sunday, May 10, 2009

trip to the Grocery Store

In the interest of saving money and budgeting, Jeff and I have been cutting corners. Getting rid of all the "extras". Now to be fair to us, we really don't have a lot of extras in our lives anyway, but we have been re-evaluating things once again. For example, we are giving up Sirius Radio. Now Sirius Radio is not THAT expensive, about $30 a month for the two subscriptions. And that's why we've kept it. But now we're thinking that the $30 a month is going to be needed for such things like, oh, diapers. So it's going bye bye. This a a sacarafice, at least for me. I LOVE my Sirius Radio and hearing new bands I wouldn't normally hear, and no commercials. I really do love it, so instead I'll be making CD's to listen to during my commute time.

The other change we've made is to start taking a calculator to the grocery store, and making a list ahead of time of what we want. Today we went to the grocery store with a budget of $50, and a list. And we STUCK TO IT! In fact, we came in a few dollars under. I was pretty happy about this. We added a few things at the last minute that weren't originally on the list, but that's okay, we mostly got necessities, and even the last minute add ons weren't so much impulse buys as items we really did need. We've got a plan for dinner tonight, plan for dinner tomorrow night, and I've got my lunches mapped out to take to work this week. If you know us at all, you know we are the King and Queen of take out, so this is a pretty big change. Oh, and we stopped shopping at Shaw's supermarket since the prices there are RIDICULOUS. We've switched to Johnny's Foodmaster and while the store is not as pretty, the prices are better. Ah the things we do to be debt free!!!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

You are starting to sound more and more like an old married couple with kids...just like us. (o: All that you describe is exactly what I do. I enjoy planning so I don't mind it.

Mary said...

Check out Market Basket -- really good prices. The one in Reading is probably the closest to you. It is a zoo a lot of the time, but so worth it!