Saturday, May 23, 2009

New Mind Set

I know I've been writing a lot of about money and budgeting and all that, and I hope it's not boring people, but it's really been right at the top of things that I MUST DO lately. The whole idea of having this new person in the family that is going to be completely and utterly dependent on me kind of freaks me out! So Jeff and I have started quite a bit of cost cutting in terms of shopping and when we buy and what we buy. Well the other day I was in CVS for just a few things, and if you're like me, you can turn a quick run to CVS into a $50+ shopping spree. This time though, I kept it to under $20 and left with what I went in for. Amazing. True, I forgot we needed toothpaste, but I can get that another day and for now I'll just grab a few samples from my work to hold us over.

See, this time I LOOKED AT THE PRICES instead of just grabbing the brand I wanted. I'm a brand name snob and I rarely buy the generic version of anything. This time though I got the generic version of pads (never say I don't tell all!!) since they were on sale for 2 for $4.00, and I got Suave body wash for $1.99 as opposed to the creamy Dove body wash that I LOVE for $8.99. Now this isn't a lot of money we're talking about saving, but it does add up after awhile. Or so all the finance books and websites tell me... And the Suave body wash is actually really nice smelling so I won't count that as TOO much of sacrifice. I just found it interesting that I went into CVS and did this kind of automatically.. not really thinking about it. This is brand new behavior for me since before I would automatically go for the brand I really wanted regardless of price. Oh, and last night I CUT COUPONS on diapers. I know.. maybe I'm going too far now.. but I did cut coupons. And sign up for Huggies web site so that they'll send me more coupons. Next thing you know I'll be getting a "Flowbee" (whatever happened to those btw??) and cutting my own hair!!!

2 comments:

Mr Darcy said...

Allow me to say how proud your father is of you. This is showing a commendable sense of responsibility - and the best part is that you are both choosing this course for yourself and not grumbling about a need to do it.

I can see a great mother in the making.

Crankipantz said...

I could totally use a flowbee! Maybe we can find one at Foodmaster...the supermarket that saves us about $30 per shopping trip as opposed to those supermarket cash cows Shaws and Stop and Shop. I mean...alleged supermarket cash cows.