Sunday, October 18, 2009

Inability to Accessorize

I love jewelry. I love "statement necklaces" - you know, necklaces with large stones and interesting gems and textures, and I love broaches and bracelets and scarves. I however, have NO idea how to accessorize. AT ALL. This was hammered home this past weekend when I attended a "Lia Sophie Jewelry Party" and I found myself drooling over all sorts of gorgeous necklaces and matching earrings. One by one I tried on all the beautiful pieces, and one by one I discarded them. Those gorgeous "statement necklaces"? Did not work on me at all. They looked odd to me, and I just knew I wouldn't be able to carry them off. Now I have a few necklaces in my jewelry collection already, and I wear them on occasion (my favorite one right now states Nathan's birth date, weight, inches on it and I got it from Jeff). And I have a few pieces of faux gemstones from my Grandmother's collection. Now my Grandmother.. that woman could accessorize. She had scarves and pins and rings and necklaces and all sorts of sparkly and dazzling things. My sister and I would sit and play with her jewelry for hours when we visited (And her jewelry took up two drawers in a dresser... TWO DRAWERS). That ability to "dress up" or "dress down" an outfit is lost to me. I have no idea just what looks best on me.. and how to pair a normal sweater with just the right broach to make it "pop".

I mean, on a normal day my jewelry is my wedding bands, maybe my Nathan bracelet or necklace, and a pair of earrings. IF I'M LUCKY!! Sometimes it's just my wedding bands and everything else goes bye bye...

So does anyone have any hints for the accessory challenged such as myself? I saw so many beautiful necklaces I would have loved to purchase but I just know they would sit in my jewelry box untouched and unloved....

2 comments:

Hope said...

My philosophy has always been to go for one big, bold piece and leave it at that. If I'm going for less bold accessories, I'll wear a few of them. I try to wear something with a color that complements not my outfit instead of matching. And you pretty much can't go wrong with silver. :p

Mary said...

You have to be true to you. If a piece doesn't look right on you, then it's not for you. For years, I wanted a string of pearls. I finally got to a jewelry store and started trying them on -- and they are SO not me. I do funky pieces or simple gold chains. Pearls looked lost on me. Pretty, but not me. So if you're not comfortable with something, keep trying until you find 'the look.' I love scarves, but I can never master those fancy knots. I look with envy on those who can, but hey -- we all have our talents! ;-)