Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Longing, yes longing, for Diet Coke


I miss Diet Coke. I miss Diet Coke almost every day. Because I have Graves' Disease I am at a higher risk for miscarriage than most people, and part of my long list of "Things you may not eat or drink when pregnant" included caffeine. I'm not a coffee drinker, never did like the taste, and mostly drink tea or hot chocolate, or maybe seltzer water and juice, but Diet Coke. Oh Diet Coke and I have had a long, long love affair. Passionate, committed, devoted. I have loved Diet Coke deeply. Of all the things that I have had to give up.. it's the Diet Coke that I crave. And my God do I crave it. People at my work drink it right in front of me and I swear it calls my name. It taunts me as it sits there all bubbly and dark, looking so cool and refreshing. With just the right amount of flavor. Wait a minute - I'm drooling into the keyboard.


So today I went into CVS fully determined to purchase and drink my first Diet Coke in 6 months. I thought to myself "Self, you've been sooo good. There is NO WAY that this amount of caffeine is going to hurt you or your baby, just buy the freakin' Diet Coke and go on your way". I marched my way down to the coolers and stared at the Diet Coke. And walked away with a Caffeine-Free Diet Coke version (which by the way is NOT the same thing and I drank more out of a sense of having given up than a hankering for the taste). Apparently my bark is WAY worse than my bite. Or as Jeff likes to say, I am all talk. Sigh...

1 comment:

Mary said...

I've never been able to taste the difference between caffeinated and caffeine-free Diet Coke.

They really DON'T taste the same???

Disclaimer: I'm not a big soda drinker. (Obviously!)