Saturday, March 14, 2009

Heart Break


Today was a horrible Saturday. After a long discussion with Jeff, a discussion with our incredibly compassionate and sweet vet, and a burst of hysterics from me, we had my sweet cat euthanized. Anyone who has had a pet knows this is the most agonizing decision to make. Lily was 15 years old and I've had her since she was a baby. I bottle fed her since she was found as a stray and was too young to be on her own. She's seen me through college, multiple apartments, multiple jobs, hell, she's seen me through multiple relationships. She was my constant and I don't think you could find a more spoiled or pampered cat. Letting her go was beyond awful and I still can't believe she's gone. Since I don't want this post to be a complete sob fest, I thought I'd leave you with some of the funnier stories of Lily and her personality.

1. The first night Jeff stayed over she pooped in his bag. I guess she was letting him know that she was there first!


2. She liked to walk around the rim of the bathtub when I was taking a bath and would have tried to drink the bathwater if I let her.


3. Lily actually enjoyed being sung too and I would walk around the apartment with her slung over my shoulder like a big furry scarf and sing about how wonderful she was. She would purr the entire time.

4. She hated everyone and everything but me - but eventually learned to tolerate Jeff. She always loathed Monty though.


5. She loved ice cream and for a long time when I was single we would sit on the sofa together watching television and I would let her lick the bowl after I was done with ice cream. It was our Friday night ritual.

5. In summertime she would sit with her paw in her bowl of water... no idea why.




4 comments:

Karen said...

Awww katharine! Now i am getting teary eyed. That is such a sweet list of things about lilly. i had no idea you used to sing to her, that is so cute to hear.
I would eat clam chowder and watch tv with peanut butter when you guys were all away, it was our little ritual (i would eat and give her some clams while i did ).

Anonymous said...

Oh K, that's terrible! The princess was such a character. Sorry to hear that she's gone.

Mr Darcy said...

I confess that I never warmed much to Princess Lily, though she treated me reasonably well. (To wit, she demanded petting and affection - as is every cat's rightful heritage.) Perhaps it was all that fur, and that angry face. But I know how much you loved her - and that you were an attentive and devoted owner under sometimes quite trying circumstances.

The decision was rough to make, and very hard on you, but from what I know it sounds like the right decision at the right time. That's not much comfort right now, but it may be in time. And Jeff has been a hero in all of this.

Karen, I had no idea you shared clam chowder with Peanut Butter. I didn't even remember that you liked it particularly. You should know that Sasha still misses you - not. One owner is as good as any other, as long as she is fed on time, petted on demand (and allowed to sink her claws of death into the shoulder), and allowed to sleep in all those cute places.

"Reading a book? What a great idea, but wouldn't it be even better with a cat sitting on the pages?"

Hope said...

I'm sorry that you lost your kitty. :(

One of our kitties likes to sit on the rim of the tub when I'm in the bath. I must admit, I let her drink the water. Ewww gross, right?