Friday, March 27, 2009

dislike for Strawberry Shortcake

When I was younger Strawberry Shortcake was pretty popular. And I disliked her. I disliked her because she had red hair and I thought she was ugly. Thus she was a bad role model for redheads everywhere - I took it personally. However.. after seeing the "new" Strawberry Shortcake, I am admitting my mistake in disliking the original. While the new Strawberry Shortcake is indeed "pretty", I really, really dislike how they've turned her into what looks like some sort of lolita-like wanna be doll. What is WITH this??? Don't believe me? Take a gander here:


I'm just surprised that they haven't given new Strawberry Shortcake breast implants. Now, I AM sort of hypocrite about this whole thing because I also adored Barbie when I was younger. Yes, Barbie, which according to some people is the root of all that is evil. But Strawberry Shortcake was NOT supposed to be Barbie. She was a little girl, and thus she was shaped like a little girl. No long hair and long lashes and a come hither pose. I guess I should be grateful that she's covered up and not wearing stillettos, but I'm just dismayed that they seem to be taking away the innocence from toys.

3 comments:

Amitai said...

Also, what is with "recreating" existing characters.

I hate that.

I don't understand the need for things to be brand new all the time.

Francis Holland said...

People recreate existing characters because they want to rely on a known money-making franchise and, perhaps more importantly, because they have no creativity of their own. Witness Hollywood producers returning to the "New Brady Bunch" and the remake(s?) of Gilligan's Island. It's pathetic, and it's not about making things "brand new all the time".

Sometimes the go back and ruin something that was once good and sometimes the reabuse the public with something that was never any good to begin with. But, as it says quite instructively in the Holy Bible, "Like a dog returns to his vomit, a fool returns to his folly."

Francis Holland said...

Oh, I meant to mention that I love strawberry shortcake (the dessert, not the cartoon) and I amazed to read of your "dislike for strawberry shortcake" until I realized you were talking about the cartoon.

Strawberry shortcake was my favorite dessert at my mother's favorite Chinese restaurant.