Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Thoughts and Randomness

I've got a lot on my mind lately and none of it really flows, so here it goes!
1.
I'm on Day 7 of my running program. This week is week 2, even though it's week 3. Does that make sense? Well I did the week 1 running program for 2 weeks, and now I'm doing the week 2 running program. It's as follows:
Brisk five-minute warmup walk.
Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

I forced my lazy self off the sofa tonight and oh my God. It was HARD. My legs felt like cement for most of the time, and it was very difficult. I did it. I'm proud of myself for doing it - but whew. It's not easier. I'm hoping by the time I get to September that I'm actually not struggling as much.

2.
I'm once again dreaming of new bedding. I've been perusing The Company Store catalogues like a crack addict jonesing for her next fix. Lovely words like "down", "plush", "luxury" and "sensual" are calling to me from the pages. I've also discovered that The Company Store puts out some lovely children's items. Bedding, room decorations, hooded towels. I want it all. I've marked up their catalogue with a lovely black sharpie pen and in my pretend online shopping cart I've got about $500 worth of stuff that I want to get for Nathan all picked out. Once again, this is the reason why I should never own a credit card. Ever. Because all that stuff? It would be mine!

3.
I find it super annoying that no matter how tired I am lately, and even with exercise, I can go to bed and still not be able to sleep. I go to bed around 10:30pm and I still don't sleep till around midnight. To make things even MORE annoying - Jeff comes to bed around 11:30pm and as soon as his head hits his pillow - he's out cold. As an insomniac there is really just about nothing that is more head-banging unfair than seeing your partner blissfully sleeping. It just emphasizes the fact that you.. are NOT sleeping. And that you most likely will NOT be sleeping anytime soon. And yes, I follow all the lovely rules for insomnia. Bed at the same time, getting UP at the same time, no caffeine after a certain hour... the lists never really change and yet they never make a damn bit of difference in my sleep routine. I follow them all to no avail. Insomnia still pops up like that horrible ex-boyfriend you thought was finally gone for good. Oh, do I need to mention that Jeff SNORES?? Thus is the soundtrack of my life.

4.
Nathan has apparently reached the age where other children will hit him. Today, for example, I took him to Little Bears. It's a playcenter on Rte 1 where you can let your child run around and play. They have plush sofas for moms and dads to hang out, they have coffee and tea, and they have a TON of toys. Since Nathan is so little, I can't really just let him roam around and have fun while I peruse an US Weekly. I instead pretty much follow him around. At one point he was playing with a ball near another little boy who was only a few weeks older. I think around 15 months. This little boy wanted the ball too. His solution? He hit Nathan. About three times. Nathan cried and I scooped him up and the other mother was mortified. It's not her fault, it's not even the little boy's fault. It's the age, it's what they do. A few minutes later? That same little boy picked up the ball and threw it at Nathan's head where it bounced off him. I picked Nathan up and moved him to a different area of the room right after that. It's frustrating because I don't really know what to do. The other mother was clearly embarassed. The kids are young enough that you really can't ask them to apologize - they don't understand that, but I still didn't like seeing my precious baby get smacked around. So moving him seemed to be the best option. I guess I wasn't expecting these sorts of issues already. For some reason I was thinking that happened later, like around 4. Apparently I was wrong. I guess for now I just have to be even more vigilant about watching Nathan when he's playing near other children.

5.
Jeff and I are getting ready to move and we've started cleaning out our basement. That resulted in about 4 bins of trash. How in the WORLD do we manage to fit so much STUFF into such a small house? It boggles the mind really! Next weekend we're planning on hitting up our shed - our shed that we haven't touched in like 4 years. May the force be with us!!!

1 comment:

Mary said...

You're moving?? What's up with that? Email me -- inquiring minds want to know! ;-)