Thursday, August 5, 2010

Rage

I'm late on this bandwagon but it really, really upsets me. Apparently supermodel Giselle has issued the following verdict:

“Some people here (in the US) think they don’t have to breastfeed, and I think ‘Are you going to give chemical food to your child when they are so little?’ I think there should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months.”

Words cannot express how much this angers me. I adore my baby, my son, really my reason for getting out of bed in the morning more than I can ever express. I breastfed Nathan for approximately 3 weeks. It was 3 long, long weeks. I didn't have a problem with latching or milk production, my problem was that Nathan was using me as a pacifier. When I tell you that for 3 weeks I slept for maybe an hour at a time as I sat on the sofa switching Nathan from on breast to the other, I am not lying. I was exhausted. I was beyond exhausted. Me, a die hard insomniac who has gone to work and STAYED AWAKE at her job after only 20 minutes of sleep the night before, was losing her mind. Nathan is a formula fed baby and I still feel guilty about it. Really guilty. Like bad mommy guilt. While on one hand, I know that I made the best decision for me, the other hand is over there just wringing away with guilt. I WISH I could have breast fed Nathan for longer. I WANTED to breast feed Nathan for longer. I couldn't do it. And while I applaud all the mommies out there who are able to do it, I do NOT need some supermodel bitch telling me how awful I am as a parent. And I want to know about the women who cannot breast feed? I have dear friends who tried and tried and just couldn't do it. They are AMAZING mommies. So there should be a LAW that would force them to breastfeed when they physically cannot?? GAH! The whole thing just angers me and once again I wonder why I live in a culture where just because someone is physically attractive that we feel that what they have to say is TRUE and IMPORTANT when in reality they are spewing NONSENSE. GAH! And GAH again!

3 comments:

Mr Darcy said...

I can honestly say that this is the first time I have heard of Giselle, and with any luck it will also be the last time.
People have stupid opinions all the time. Astonishingly enough, even I have had a stupid opinion or two (doubtless you will tell me which they were). The only difference is that because she has some modicum of fame for the moment, her opinions get a wider distribution.
It's not worth so much as the energy it takes to get angry at her. What do you care what she thinks?

Crankipantz said...

Isn't she named after an animal in the deer family? What does she know about eating anyway? Geez. People with opinions should at least know something about the subject.

Mary said...

You realize, of course, that if she were not who she was...no one would give a rat's a** what she thought. Very easy for the principessa to sit on the gilded throne and make proclamations like that. My advice: IGNORE!! Every woman has to do what is best for her and her baby. It is a personal decision and what works for one may not work for another. Kind of like religion. ;-) Stop with the guilt -- take a trip to the mall, take a trip to the ice cream shop, but do not waste time on a guilt trip!