Sunday, August 15, 2010

Attempt to modify my attitude

I'm a deeply sarcastic person by nature. I love metal music - the angrier and the more angsty the better. I also love scary movies. Now that I have Nathan I've become aware of the fact that I am responsible for shaping his personality. I know some of his personality will be "nature", but some will be "nurture". I'd like the "nurture" aspect of his personality to be positive. I want him to be happy and confident and self-aware. I want him to be a good person, a kind person, someone who helps people yet has the inner strength to stand up for himself. I want him to be a better version of me. So I found this site about Happy Things and here's a list of things they gave to be happy about:
blue M & M's
crunchy bell peppers
greater self-awareness
the trivium of grammar, logic, and rhetoric - and the quadruvium of geometry, arithmetic, astronomy, and music; the seven liberal arts
Picasso paintings in Barcelona
about one-ninth of any iceberg appears above the water's surface
sun too bright to look at
giant cabbages
blenders
a real general store
self-adhesive stamps
wooden-pegged paneling and ships' nails
helping an old lady cross the street
gangs of crows


It's an interesting list because most of the things that I see on here I've never really given much thought to. I know today I was happy for quite a few reasons:
I actually went OUT on a Friday night. Like OUT out. WITH A FRIEND! We watched two movies (Toy Story 3 and The Expendables - both were excellent in their own different ways), and I ate M & M's and we later went to a local bar where I had the most delicious green apple martini and felt delightfully tipsy afterwards.
Jeff and I didn't fight this weekend - Can I get a WOOT WOOT for this one???
Prune juice is like the nectar of the gods when dealing with a constipated baby. It was like his whole system just cleaned RIGHT OUT! And while being happy about a poopy diaper seems kind of silly - well it beats the alternative of having your child scream and cry because he CANNOT POOP!
My mother in law brought over food this morning so Jeff and I have bagels and bulky rolls and chicken salad and seafood salad and deli meats and cheeses for the next few day. YUM!
Nathan got his first haircut at Snip It's in Burlington and the woman who cut his hair was AMAZING. Nathan cried and cried the ENTIRE TIME and she gave him the most adorable cut and she didn't slice off a finger in the process. A small miracle considering he kept trying to push her hand away.


I've also found that because I now primarily listen to children's music during the day, I've gotten a little more upbeat. I actually really like the following song:


No comments: