Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Valentine's Day

Jeff and I actually have dinner plans for Valentine's Day this year - we're going out to dinner with another couple. Should be fun, especially since neither of us is really into Valentine's Day as a holiday. For me in the past, it was a way to measure just HOW MUCH my significant other loved me. And God forbid I did NOT get roses on the big day. I had one boyfriend NOT send me roses for that day, something he had always done previously and I was NOT HAPPY. I already had an inkling that I might not be getting anything since we broke up and got back together more than any celebrity couple currently in fashion. So that day I counted down the minutes getting more and more angry that there was not a big ol' vase of red roses on my desk. What did I do? I did what any other mature, rational, and not INSANELY angry girl would do. I called him up and promptly thanked him for the absolutely BEAUTIFUL bouquet he sent me, and how did he know that the pink roses were my favorite and I went on and on and on. I then slid in how they forgot to put the card in and he should probably call the florist and complain. BINGO! He was PISSED and immediately admitted NOT sending me flowers and demanding to know who did. I played dumb and innocent and said things like "I just ASSUMED they were from you". And don't you know I got flowers hand delivered that night along with an ice cream cake from Carvel (my favorite cake ever, and I am still bitter I never got the Fudgie the Whale Carvel cake that was advertised every single day!).

Years later, married and pregnant, Valentine's Day doesn't hold the same appeal that it once did. Don't get me wrong, I still love getting flowers and cards and all that other stuff, but the whole holiday where flowers are doubled in price isn't something that's high on my priority list. I did try and look through potential gift ideas for Jeff, you know, a little token something to give him. And I was truly amazed at some of the crap that popped up as "suggestions".

Take a gander here people:












Happy Valentine's Day toilet paper. No kidding.











I like bears, and I like lounging on the sofa - but this looks like something I would have gotten from my High School boyfriend.

Nothing says "I love You" like a gigantic, inflatable alligator. Nothing.
I guess I'm just amazed at the lack of thought in some of the gifts. If these are items that TRULY suit your partner, than fine. But they seem like last minute "Holy Shit it's VALENTINE'S DAY AND I HAVE NOTHING TO GIVE" gifts. Or maybe it's just me!

1 comment:

Crankipantz said...

Oh oh...Valentine's Day toilet paper for a crappy made up holiday! How appropriate.