Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Conscience

At work we have a mentally challenged girl who "helps". Helps is probably putting it nicely because she's been there for like 15 years and all the stuff she actually used to do is now computer generated and she can't use computers. Basically we give her busy work all day long.. and by busy work I mean crap that doesn't even need to be done. ANYWAY, she tends to walk around with money literally falling out of her pockets all day long and takes no notice of it. Today, I walked into the bathroom for one of my million pee breaks and found a $5 on the ground crumpled up. Now I didn't SEE this girl leave the bathroom, but odds are good it was hers. So I gave it back to her.

NOW.. before everyone tells me how nice I was.. here's the confession part. I did think about NOT giving it back for a minute. I could have added that $5 to our cookie jar fund for a new bathroom sink.. and I did have a second of "she would never know" before I just sucked it up and gave it back to her.

So here's the question, does anyone else have not so nice thoughts like this? Feel like doing the "wrong thing" or are other people just naturally good with no nasty thoughts. I mean, I've already confessed to being WAY less than perfect, but it *was* a temptation to keep that $5. I'm not exactly proud I gave it back to her, but I know I would have felt awful if I kept it. But has anyone else had a few seconds of debate like this?? Or am I just a morally corrupt person?

No comments: