Monday, September 13, 2010

Weekend

Oh what a weekend. What a weekend it was. I worked my part-time gig on Saturday and realized how nice it was to get out and make a little money for the family. I also had lots of anxiety the night before. Kind of that "back to school anxiety". I don't know WHY I get nervous before work, but I do. Maybe I won't remember everything? Maybe they won't like me? All sorts of worries run through my head. But I went, I chatted, my co-worker was lovely and sweet and basically the time really flew - which is always nice. I came home and it was immediate mom mode. Nathan woke up pretty much as soon as I walked in the door and it was time for lunch and everything that goes with lunch. It's figuring out what to make, making it, cutting it into tiny pieces and then FEEDING NATHAN which takes FOREVER. After lunch it was the mad dash to the toy store because of COURSE we didn't have the required birthday present for the birthday party we were going to. Scramble in the store for cute and age appropriate gift, next to the Hallmark store for gift bag, tissue paper and card, and THEN a crazy drive TO the party where Nathan and Jeff had a lovely time in the bouncy house that was set up while I sat and chatted with people. Nathan did have a minor meltdown towards the end (for some reason he gets constipated REALLY easy and I guess he was having one of those moments). Off to home after a quick piece of cake and it was time to give Nathan a bath.

Deep breath. Nathan does NOT like the bath. He wants to stand, he doesn't want his hair washed. basically giving Nathan a bath is a two person deal and it requires lots of patience. He's fine the first 5 minutes or so, but as soon as it's hair washing time, well, meltdown takes place. Saturday it was no different. Nathan had a meltdown. He was trying to stand and Jeff was holding him kind of under his arms, and Jeff had one foot in the tub (Nathan bathes in a Eurotub - plastic tub that fits IN our tub). Well as Nathan stood he made an oh so familiar grunting noise. Before we could blink, Nathan pooped. He pooped in the tub and that's where it became chaotic. Jeff is trying to lift a slippery Nathan out of the poopy tub, and I'm trying to empty the tub of poopy water so I can grab Nathan and DISASTER. I dumped the tub, poopy contents and all, all over Jeff's foot. His sock and sneaker clad foot. Jeff let out a ROAR of protest and I practically threw the now-empty tub across the bathroom as I scooped up the now hysterical Nathan. I don't know HOW Jeff managed to get his foot out of his now-toxic sock and sneaker.. but we put them on the deck to deal with later. As Nathan and Jeff rocked in front of "Wonder Pets" I SCRUBBED the tub. I bleached the tiny Eurotub and I bleached our tub. Repeatedly. I scrubbed and scrubbed. The bad thing? Nathan still needed a bath. Well our new bath has a shower head that can be adjusted, so we pulled it out and gave Nathan his very first shower. A shower that went pretty well and we were even able to wash his hair. The rest of the night was a blur. There were jammies and dinner and bedtime, there were hot showers for me where I attempted to cleanse myself of the picture of poop in the bath, and I was passed out in bed by 9:30pm. It had been a long, long day.

Sunday was a little better. We got some laundry done, some unpacking done, and some stuff put up in the attic. It was non-stop from the moment we woke up until the moment Nathan went to bed, but we felt very accomplished. I switched out some summer clothes for fall clothes, took inventory on what we need for Nathan this fall/winter, and I even mopped some floors. And because there was no repeat of poop in the tub - well let's just call it the best Sunday EVER!!!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Oh.My.God.

I can't even formulate any thoughts after reading (and then visualizing!) that awful scene. I would have done bleach AND boiling water.

Unknown said...

Oh Kae, LOLOLOL.... I only laugh because I've been through what you've been through and the scene was completely dysfunctional, hysterical and gross all at the same time!!!!
You're lucky if you could wash the refuse down the drain. Nathalie has produced a banana-size turd (I kid you not!!!!) on three occasions in the tub. It came down to her actually looking forward to taking a bath and mentioning she was going to poop in it and us going ballistic and shaking our hands and heads furiously "no, no, no....". Ooooh and picking up at piping hot, gooey, slippery thing by hand that once fell back in the water, splashing me in the face will definitely be a lifelong memory of mine.
Oh the joy of parenthood, hee hee hee... thanks for the memories!!!!!
:o)))
Helen