Wednesday, September 22, 2010

living under a rock

I was watching television for a little while today and saw a short preview for a new reality show on TLC called "Sister Wives". It was like a 30 second clip and you can get a general idea here:
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20420535,00.html

Now, I'm fairly liberal and like to think I'm not judgemental but I watched the preview and I could only think "really TLC? REALLY"? Now, the idea of having "sister wives" is actually pretty appealing to me. How cool would it be to say to my fellow wife "Hey, can you watch the kids while I go do.... " and fill in the blank with anything from the gym to a visit to the day spa. Or to have help cooking? I mean, cooking is a CHORE for me, and feeding Nathan is a big ol' chore.. so how cool would it be to have my "sister wife" do that for me? I get the feeling though, that this dynamic does not work in the lovely way I am thinking. And I do have a couple of questions.
1. How much money does this guy make? He's got QUITE the number of children and wives to support, and I don't know if the wives work outside the house, but that's a lot of mouths to feed. And clothes to buy. School supplies. College educations to provide for. Heck, that's a lot toilet paper to purchase! If one or all of the wives work to help finance the household - who watches the kids? Do they pay for childcare? Does one of the wives get stuck with most of the child/household chores? And if so, boy do I feel bad for her. I remember Nathan had like FOUR poopy diapers in an hour time span, and let me tell you - if I didn't love him more than life, that would have sucked. It sucked anyway.. but I can't imagine doing that all day long for children who are not my own.
2. Who ARE these women? While I appreciate these women are not teenagers, and that he's not marrying 16 year old girls, at the same time I just don't know why this particular arrangement is appealing. Marriage is hard enough as it is, I can't imagine SHARING marriage with like 3 other people. Ugh. You've got to all agree on discipline, nutrition, how to divide up chores, the list goes on and on. I won't even TOUCH on the whole someone else sleeping with my husband thing because that idea is so repellent to me I'm not even going to pretend to understand. But.. what if one of your "sister wives" wanted tips in the bedroom?? Can we say... awkward?
3. Let's get back to discipline. I would NOT be okay with a "sister wife" disciplining my child. Or what if you were the wife who had to work outside the home and your child was closer to your sister wife because THAT wife was home with them all day. Jealousy would be a HUGE issue for me.

Maybe I'm not evolved enough as a person to get past the whole jealousy thing. Maybe I'm not open-minded enough, but I will not be watching "Sister Wives" this season!

4 comments:

Crankipantz said...

Another classy reality show for TLC. Well done.

Mr Darcy said...

How do you feel about Grandpa disciplining your child? Teaching him Algebra II? Chess? Hockey?

Is the ole jealousy kicking in yet?

Dawn said...

You are becoming more and more conservative every day...I can see it. (o; And I agree with pretty much all you said.

Mary said...

Have you ever watched "Big Love" on HBO? Now THAT'S a hoot...in kind of a horrifying way! lol