Sunday, May 30, 2010

Dear Hallmark

Dear Hallmark,

Could we talk? Just you and I for a few minutes? I love you Hallmark, I really and truly do. As a card addict, I adore searching for just the RIGHT card for the occasion. Money means nothing to me Hallmark when it comes to finding THE card. I have paid $5.00 for a single card that I thought was perfect. When my Grandmother was alive, I delighted in sending her unusual cards. Cards that were furry and plush that looked like teddy bears. Cards that had little packages of seeds, or bubble bath attached to them. Cards that played music or could record greetings. I loved them all. I have even, Hallmark, been to your competitor - Papyrus, and shelled out big bucks for a handmade, recycled card with sparkles attached if I thought the card was perfect enough for the person I was going to send it to. I pay careful attention to the WORDS inside the card - wanting them to be short and sweet and not going on and on and on because let's face it Hallmark.. NOBODY READS ALL THAT WORDING. Just a little tidbit from me to you!

Anyway, the point of this letter Hallmark is that I am tired of your Father's Day cards. At what point did the word "father" become a man who liked ONLY the following:
Sports
BBQ
Yardwork
Handyman
Coach Potato

It was hard enough when I had to buy a card for my OWN father since he embodies none of these traits. My father enjoys Opera, classical music, old black and white movies such as "The African Queen" and "La Strada". He is a die-hard romanticist and enjoys musicals such as "Carousel", and loves tragic, romantic endings. He goes to church every Sunday and teaches classes on different chapters from the Bible. He reads Math books FOR FUN!!!! So you see Hallmark, none of your traditional Father's Day cards fit my father. AT ALL. And I find myself searching vainly through your racks to find a generic Father's Day card that could MAYBE work for him. Some years I give up and don't give him a card at all.

Now I am in a double quandary as my own husband and father to my perfect and wonderful child is also not someone who fits the above Father's Day ideal. The only sport Jeff watches is wrestling. He loves video games and comic books. He loathes yard work - though will do it if it's absolutely necessary. He enjoys grilling - but I would never dare buy him something like a "King of the Grill" apron". He drinks beer sometimes - but prefers flavored and seasonal beers like blueberry and pumpkin as opposed to the traditional Miller or Budweiser. He is not someone I can easily find a card for either. Once again, this leaves me with very little to pick from, and I don't even remember the card I got him for last year's Father's Day. Needless to say - it was generic.

So Hallmark, how about stepping away from the idea that all father's are a stereotype. I am sure I am not the only person who has issues with this and it would be nice to see ALL fathers recognized on this holiday. I would like to thank you in advance for your time and attention to this matter!

Sincerely,
Katharine

1 comment:

Mr Darcy said...

Well, I have to admit - you have me squarely pegged. [Square peg - pretty funny, no?] I think the only things you left out were reading murder mysteries and books like Anne of Green Gables. For which I thank you - I don't know what I would do if the latter ever got mentioned in some public forum.

And I never knew quite how much trouble it was to pick a card for me. Which must put you in a quandary. You want me to appreciate what you sent, but you go nuts if I keep it for a couple of decades or so. Can you say mixed message?