Monday, May 10, 2010

thoughts about blogging

I've been reading a lot about people who used to write on their blogs super personal stories and how later they regret it. They may have written about sexual experiences, or something traumatic in their lives and once the words are committed to the internet.. they're out there forever. There's no taking them back. At first I thought - that wouldn't happen to me because 1. I don't exactly have a huge following! And 2. I don't write about deeply personal things, but yet I do try and share what's on my mind. See, what's the point in blogging if I can't share what's on my mind?? And sometimes, what's on my mind is not pretty. That's just life! I do want to make sure however that I am, and I'm not sure this is the correct term, a thoughtful writer. Meaning, I don't want to write something that my family would be embarassed to see, or something that would be betraying a confidence. I'm fairly private as a person, so writing this blog goes a little against my nature, but I suppose it's my vanity that has me write. For example, when I was younger I kept a diary, and I kept that diary for YEARS. Off and on from the time I was about 7 years old well into my high school years. I had been inspired by Ann Frank and her diary and I remember re-reading entries and wondering how a stranger would interpret my words. Kind of vain when you think about it... but that's kind of what blogging is all about. You're writing something personal, almost a diary, and yet you're also interested in what strangers and friends have to say about your thoughts. Are you, indeed, crazy? Are you not alone in your thoughs and opinions? So I did think about giving this blog a rest, but instead I'm going to keep going for a little while longer. My ego won't let me stop just yet!~

No comments: