Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Clothing Wardrobe

I've never been really good about putting together "outfits". Really I should have gone into a profession that required a uniform. Even wearing a McDonald's uniform every day would be an improvement over my wardrobe choices. I just do NOT have the ability to dress. Oh I can put black slacks on and a top, maybe even spruce it up a little bit with a cute cardigan or something, but I never REALLY look pulled together. My winter coat is a black down coat and it's sooooo unstylish, but I got it when I was pregnant and I wanted two things in a winter coat. That would be: inexpensive and warm. Well I got those two things. And since I still cannot fit my "normal" wardrobe, I'm wearing the XL ugly coat. Driving up to daycare today though, I walked in with another mom and I noticed that she looked really put together. She had the nice high heeled boots on with really nicely pressed gray slacks, and a very stylish wool coat and brightly colored scarf. Her hair was in a STYLE, and not pulled back in an elastic. She was PUT TOGETHER. And wow did I look sad walking in next to her with my XL down coat and the driving shoes I had slipped on that I could easily carry Nathan out to the car in his car seat with. I looked, what's the word I'm looking for, "sloppy". Not dirty or anything, just not pulled together. I was wearing a nice skirt, I had a semi-nice top on underneath it, and I had EVEN PUT A NECKLACE on today. Which in my mind, is ACCESSORIZING!!! But I still felt kind of sloppy next to this other mom. I couldn't help but look at my chipped nail polish and beat up shoes and ugly coat.

All my life though I have lacked the ingrained ability normal people have to dress themselves. Now, I have some cute clothes that I'd love to fit into again, but at the same time there's always something slightly OFF about how I look. My nail polish is chipped, the hair is not really done, or I have a run in my stockings... There's always a little something not quite right.

Does anyone else ever feel this way?? That what they are wearing is not QUITE right?? Maybe because I never developed my sense of style, maybe because I don't care enough and I always tend to pick sleep over coordinating my clothing? Maybe I'm just lazy, but I would very much LIKE to be a stylish mom. I just don't really see it happening. I'm 35 and I suspect even if I completely overhauled my wardrobe I still wouldn't look quite right.

So, any stylish tips for me?? A little help for the wardrobe impaired is always welcome!!!

5 comments:

Mary said...

It takes a lot to keep up with nails (if they aren't acrylic, where the polish does not chip) and that's coming from someone who does not have a child to take care of. I think you have to pick and choose at this point as to what you can devote your energy to. Bare nails might be better for now, or just a clear coat.

As for accessorizing: yeah, that's a challenge. I can do it, but I just don't have enough time in the morning because like you, I choose to sleep. Scarves are great for changing the look of an outfit and if you're wearing a black top, you can pretty much throw any color scarf on to jazz the outfit up a bit.

Katharine said...

But Mary you CAN accessorize! And you ALWAYS looked pulled together and like you spent time and care on your appearance. I feel so schlumpy next to you.. :-( I'm just stuck in the fashion rut known as "Black" EVERYTHING!

Dawn said...

Welcome to motherhood my dear. We are all different. Do not compare yourself to other people...well, you could compare yourself to me...I wear stretchy pants and tshirt most days. (o:

Mary said...

Katharine, you're so sweet. What nice things to say! Some days I don't feel too pulled together, though! ;-) We all have our strengths....could *I* take care of an infant? Noooo...... so my hat is off to you for being the great mom that I always knew you would be. I'm looking forward to seeing you and Nathan on Sunday! :-)

Roxanne said...

No advice here. I always feel dowdy.