Friday, December 18, 2009

Dislike for Yankee Swaps

I dislike Yankee Swaps. They are VERY popular this time of year and I just went to one last night at a company holiday party. Now my problem with Yankee Swaps is two-fold.

1. I never know what to buy. I always wait to the last minute and wind up getting something boring like a Dunkin Donuts gift card, or a trinkety item that I THINK looks cute when I buy it, and turns out NOBODY ELSE WANTS IT. That always happens.. always, and then I get annoyed that I had to shell out money for something that nobody wants/need/or even LIKES. It bugs me, and it bugs me even more this year when I've been so strict about cutting back. It's kind of like throwing money away.

2. It's hard to actually EXCHANGE a gift because you will invariably hurt someones feelings if you don't like what they've picked out for the swap. You can't open the present, smile, and say HELL NO as you look around at what everyone else to see if you can get something better.

Last night was no different, and I had spent my lunch hour at the Paper Store picking out a little gift. I wound up getting a sort of Christmasy style bracelet with matching earrings. Slightly over the $20 price limit, but I thought they were cute and somewhat kitschy and people might like to wear them over the holidays. Now what I SHOULD do is just pick my own damn gift. I mean... I already knew I wouldn't mind having the bracelet and earring set, but at the same time I usually go for a different present. This year I got a gingerbread kit and it's actually really cute - it's got all the trimmings to making a gingerbread house and I will actually try to make it, but now everyone at my work wants PICTURES of this house and I'm feeling a wee bit of pressure to make the blasted thing. No re-gifting here thank you very much!!!!! Though come to think of it.... I do have ANOTHER Yankee Swap to attend in a few days.. maybe I'll wrap this puppy up and bring it!! BUT.. my bracelet and earring set were deemed "lovely, but not my style" by the co-worker who picked it and promptly traded to someone else. Another co-worker who did NOT look pleased to get it. In fact, she looked so UNHAPPY with the gift I actually told her I had the receipt if she wanted to exchange it... How sad is that?? She said no, that she would be fine but it's very frustrating. I really should learn from this and just pick my own damn gift next time!!!

3 comments:

Crankipantz said...

Ah...but what you're supposed to do is take the gift you don't like that you got at such a swap and give that gift at the next swap. Right people? And some gifts get swapped around for years. YEARS!

Mary said...

Wait -- the woman who never cooks is actually contemplating making a GINGERBREAD HOUSE?!

Crankipantz said...

Yeah Mary...I thought that was funny too. :-)