Sunday, March 14, 2010

Relationship

I was thinking this morning about how one phrase can have so many different interpretations. When in a relationship, it's important to realize that your significant other is not always going to read your mind and know exactly what it is you are asking for OR after reading your mind have the slightest inclination to DO what it is you are asking for. Here's an example:

When I ask for something to get done, what I really want is for it to be done NOW. Immediately. So if I ask Jeff to say, change the diaper genie, what I REALLY want him to do is spring up from the sofa (JUMP UP really), race to the diaper genie, take out the bag, AND TAKE IT OUT TO THE TRASH. And I want it done in 5 minutes or less. If Jeff happens to say "Sure, I'll change the diaper genie", that's the scenario I want to see.

Now when JEFF says "Sure, I'll change the diaper genie" what he MEANS is EVENTUALLY. Eventually can mean anywhere from that every moment (rarely) to 48 hours from now. And it annoys him to no end when after I ask this question I give him about 3o minutes to actually CHANGE the diaper genie (30 minutes of which I am doing everything but hanging over his shoulder and staring at him as I wait for the spring loaded action to take place) before I do it myself. With lots of grumbling and bitching under my breath.

In HIS mind he's thinking "I TOLD her I would do that, why in the WORLD is SHE doing it"? And in MY mind I'm thinking "He's NOT CHANGING THE DIAPER GENIE - GAH"!!!

So my point is I'm trying to learn that just because Jeff and I have different time frames for getting something done, doesn't mean that I need to make him comply with MY time frame. I need to back off and let him do it. Unless of course I snap hard and wind up doing myself, which I somehow suspect he is completely and totally okay with!