Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Discoveries in Frugality

So I've made some discoveries while on this road to being more frugal. And I've got some tips as well, you know you're all dying to read them!

Suave Bodywash - Not worth the 99 cent price tag. The smell is decent (I got the ocean breeze scent), but it doesn't lather the way I'd like and I find myself using MORE of the product to work up an acceptable foam. I won't be getting it again, and will instead keep my eyes peeled for when Dove bodywash goes on sale, coupons, or when Avon is having a sale on THEIR lovely bodywashes (cough, hi Mary, cough!). In this department, I discovered it pays to not get the cheapest on the rack!

Suave Conditioner - If you remember, I got two SUPER large bottle of Suave conditioner for 99 cents each, and I didn't like them. I have very thick hair and I just didn't get the results I wanted. I switched back to Garnier Fructis, but I still had an almost full bottle of Suave conditioner left. I didn't want to waste it and throw it out, but what am I to do?? Well I started using the conditioner as a sort of shaving cream substitute on my legs, and it's WONDERFUL! Legs are smooth, no cuts or nicks, and I STILL have the bottle. I've been doing this for over a month now and there's still a TON left. MUCH cheaper than buying shaving cream and it lasts longer. I'll buy it again solely for this purpose!

My biggest splurge though, and keep in mind I got this WAY back when I was still spending money like it was growing on trees, is "Bliss Triple Oxygen Instant Energizing Mask" and it cost a whopping $52 at Sephora. For something like 4 ounces. BUT, I bought this WAY back last summer and I still have it! I use it usually about once a week in the shower, and I really, really feel like it works with my skin. Since I'm in my third trimester right now, I use it about 2-3 times a week as a kind of pick me up since I'm a sucker for advertising, but I love it. If I save up for it, I'd get it again in a heartbeat. Especially since I can't afford a regular facial in a salon on any sort of regular basis. This kind of helps that spa urge!



That's it for now ladies, I'll let you know if any other substitutes don't work out to be worth the price saving, but I thought it was interesting to note that while I wouldn't get the Suave Bodywash again, I would get the conditioner for something other than CONDITIONER. Any other tips people feel like sharing? Saving advice? Feel free to leave a comment and let me know!

No comments: