Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Love of Books

It's no secret that I love books. I love books on different subjects, different people, different topics and genres. And I just love books in general. I adore browsing bookstores and looking at the different titles and covers and randomly picking them up and perhaps discovering a new favorite author I had never heard of previously. I was talking with a friend today who was telling me how books are going to soon be obsolete. That instead of books it will be all about the kindle and other reading devices. I just can NOT get into the kindle. I already stare at a computer all day long, and on my laptop at night - never mind television. That's too much staring at a screen in my opinion, and the idea of trading in my beloved books for another electronic device holds no appeal. Am I just hopelessly behind the times here? I traded in CDs for Itunes and have an Ipod. I'm married to an IT guy who loves his gadgets, but giving up my books? I just don't think I can do that...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you exactly! I love books, and love the feel of turning a page, of getting cozy with it perched just so in my lap. Seeing how far you've read when you look at the spine... a Kindle is not for me either. I don't even use my ipod - I have enough decisions to make in life, so I just turn on the radio and let it be a surprise what song will play :)

Roxanne said...

I totally agree. I just don't like the idea of it. I don't like how Amazon controls the content. Did you hear the story of how they recalled a book when they realized they didn't have the digital rights (or something like that). Of course I've never gotten into audio books either. I know people who love it, but it just wasn't ever for me.

Dawn said...

We consider ourselves 'bibliophiles' in our house. we are addicted to books! We have 7 bookshelves in our little apartment full. BUT~I just got a Nook and Travis got a Sony Reader..and we love them! There is nothing like having a book in my hands, and we won't stop buying books, but I love being able to carry my Nook around with me and having several books at my disposal. Plus, you can't do childrens picture books etc. on the Nook/Kindle etc.We have over 500 childrens books in our house..there's no replacing that!

So, I guess I'm saying that we have embraced the ebooks, but we will never give up our regular books too. Best of both worlds.