Sunday, February 14, 2010

Facebook Friends

I have 141 friends on Facebook. I'm not quite sure how that happened since I KNOW I don't have that many "real life" friends. Occasionally I go through the list and see if there are people I can remove from the list, though I haven't done this in a while. I am, however, perplexed by people adding me as a friend when they don't know me. I don't mean the perfect strangers that ask to be your friend because they want you to be their neighbor in a game, or because you like the same television show, but the people you perhaps grew up with, went to the same school with, but still don't know. The person who, when you see the name, you think "That sounds vaguely familiar but how do I know them". I had one such person request me as a friend recently, and while her name was SOMEHOW familiar, I had to go through all her pictures until there was one from high school before I was able to place her. And people, I only VAGUELY knew this person. I mean, I knew who she was - she was in a grade higher than me if I remember correctly, and I don't think I ever said ONE WORD to her in high school. Not one word!! I also remember her being rather nasty and not so nice, though I honestly can't remember anything specific. So why in the world is she requesting to be my friend?? It's just odd. I can't imagine WHY she wants to be my friend, and here's the thing about Facebook I dislike. Adding people to your friend list just to add them. I hate that. If you can't even send me ONE comment, SOMETHING, connect with me on some way... well why do I want to read about your life and see your pictures?? I don't. Well, okay, I DO like to see pictures - but looking at pictures of people I only vaguely remember is only somewhat interesting. And only holds my attention for so long. I declined this friend request.

What do you all think? Facebook = Popularity Contest, or is Facebook a great way to reconnect with people?

2 comments:

Mary said...

I think some people view it as a popularity contest and who can have the most friends. From what I've seen, this is more prevalent in the "younger set". I've seen teenagers and early-20s types with 900+ friends! For real. Who knows that many people?!

I think of Facebook as a way to reconnect with folks and stay in touch. If I find an old classmate on there, I'm not going to pursue a connection unless I'm genuinely interested in staying in touch. If it was someone I had no interest in talking to then, I sure don't have an interest now! lol

Unknown said...

I actually really hate facebook and I am wondering why I am still on it. I agree with you, it is wierd. I had a girl who REALLY hated me in highschool, I mean REALLY hated me request my facebook friendship! I don't get it either.