Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Cat

I got Princess Lily almost 14 years ago. A friend of mine found her, abandoned, and couldn't keep her as she had two cats already. As a self-confessed sucker and animal nut, I took her in. My friend was devastated to give her away, and so I let my friend name her. BIG mistake. The name chosen was, you guessed it, Princess Lily. Now, my cat does not look like a Princess Lily. She's always been a little scruffy, a little matted, and she hates just about everyone and everything but me. When Jeff and I first started dating she took a big ol' number two in his bag. Endearing, no?

Regardless, she's my baby and I can't imagine life without her. So maybe that's why I like to sing to my cat, and I sing to her just about every day. I'll pick her up and carry her around the house on my shoulder as I sing one of the following:
Sung to the tune of "Little Willy" by Sweet
'Cause little Lily, Lily won't go home
But you can't push Lily round Lily won't go,
try tellin' everybody but, oh no
Little Lily, Lily won't go home"

The other song I sing Jeff says is morbid, and I didn't quite understand just how depressing it was until I found the lyrics. Still, I modify this song for her too.
Sung to the tune of "Last Kiss" by Pearl Jam
"Oh, where oh where can my Lily be?
The Lord took her away from me
She's gone to heaven, so I got to be good
So I can see my Lily when I leave this world"

Then I heard that this whole singing to cats things is not as uncommen as I thought and I found this translation for "Independent Women" by Destiny's Child
"All my kitties!
Livin’ with me!
Throw your paws up at me!"

How cute is that? So 'fess up, who else sings to their pets?

No comments: