Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Barbies!



I got my very first Barbie Doll from my Grandmother. If I remember correctly she got my sister and I each an identical Barbie, I think the "Pretty in Pink" Barbie and my siter and I promptly fell in love. We LOVED Barbie dolls, loved them. We had about 15 Barbies between the two of us and one Ken doll. Well, we had two Ken dolls originally but we destroyed one. The other Ken doll had only one outfit. Didn't matter if our Barbie was going to the beach or getting married, Ken had one outfit. And he apparently also had multiple personalities as he was "married" to each of our Barbies, but in our head he was a different person for each of them. My mother though, hated Barbie. Hated her. And in an attempt to get us a doll that was NOT BARBIE, she got us a a "Jordache Doll". Basically a lame copy of Barbie that wore a pair of then-popular Jordache brand jeans. We loathed that doll. Jordache Doll was immediately stripped naked and forced to play the "bad Barbie" role or villain in any of our on-going and ever more elaborate stories. Anyway, I was remembering my childhood of playing with various dolls when I came across this site, and thought it was really cool!
http://www.sophiadolls.com/index.html

Sophia dolls are dolls made to look like the various greek goddesses, and you can even take a quiz to match the perfect doll/goddess to your personality.

Personally I am all about the Persephone doll as I LOVED the myth of Hades taking her away to hell. For some reason my prepubescent brain found the idea of the King of Hell falling in love with the beautiful girl incredibly romantic. Loved it. And I was mad at her for not being nicer to him. Anyway, I'm including a picture of her here for all to see!

But the coolest thing about these dolls are that they come in all sizes, from a size 4 to a size 16 depending on the goddess they are modeled after. I'm not going to rant about how Barbie is bad for body image because I still love her after all these years, and lets' face it she's a DOLL! But I do like the idea of having dolls come in a variety of sizes and shapes.

So take the quiz and let me know just which Greek Goddess is for you!

1 comment:

Crankipantz said...

That Ken...he was one lucky doll.