Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Christmas Spirit

Yup, Halloween is over and I'm in the Christmas spirit. Now I realize that it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but I've already started my shopping. And decorating. I'll take some pictures of our living room because I've got some small decorations out. I don't know where we're putting the tree this year, and I feel wrong putting it up before Thanksgiving, so right now it's just a small selection of decorations to kind of tide me over. And in the spirit of the season I've been looking at different charitable organizations to see where I want to give. I just discovered this one:
http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC/

but it looks like such a great idea. You take a little shoebox and select the age group of the child and fill the box with presents. I love it and am a little bummed that I just came across this site because shoeboxes are due by the 22nd. Makes sense, but also means I can't be quite as creative as I like. I've already filled a box with toothbrushes and some soap, now I just need to be on the lookout for some other fun goodies.

My other charity is this one:
http://friends-n-neighbors.org/

They were featured on Dateline and I have a few things I want to get them. They're looking for blankets, coats, first aide supplies - and while I can't send a lot, I can send a few things. So I'm starting a box for them as well.

Mainly I'm just feeling very blessed lately. I am working at two great part-time jobs and am able to make my car payment AND help contribute to other home expenses. I'm really getting the hang of this whole "home with Nathan" thing, and I'm feeling a lot more confident in my mommy ability. I'm also really lucky that I have my father living underneath us. I was nervous that it might not work having him so close (let's face it, it could be BAD with a capital B) but so far it's been great. I know Nathan loves having his Grandpa so close, and I enjoy being able to pop downstairs to say hi and chat and just catch up. Never mind the fact that if I need to do something for say, 5-10 minutes, my father has been willing to come upstairs and look after Nathan. Another big plus? Jeff and I have had TWO date nights. TWO! I KNOW.. crazy. We went out to two lovely dinners and chatted and ate yummy food and enjoyed each others' company. It's been a long, long time since we were able to do that and it's thanks to my father that we could. So 2010 has been a good year for us - now if we can only find someone to buy our old house - well life would be golden!

1 comment:

Mary said...

When did you put your old house on the market?