Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Single Life

It's no secret that Jeff and I met on Boston.com. I was newly single after spending about 10 years with the same man, and Jeff was newly single after getting divorced. He had been married for 10 years. Jeff will delight in telling you that I chose him. And it's true. I was still nervous about the online dating thing and had no picture listed. I was the one who trolled for men, and if I saw a guy I liked, I sent him an email. If I remember correctly, Jeff's profile stated that his grandmother thought he looked like the actor Noah Wylie from ER, and he asked what movies I liked. He was also super cute.

I wrote him, sent him the world's worst picture of myself - he agreed to meet with me despite that, and we met for drinks. May I add that Jeff didn't drink so we met at a bar and I had a drink and he had soda. Oh, and everyone I inquired about in his family had just DIED. Including the family dog. EVEN THE DOG WAS DEAD. Regardless it was a great date and now we're married.

Not all dates were this good. If you've spent anytime single, you know what I'm talking about. The downside to online dating took me awhile to figure out. That rule was, just because I connected with someone over email, did not mean we would connect in real life. I was talking with a guy via email for WEEKS. We had great emails back and forth, and eventually we met in real life. Now, this guy had a stutter and I knew that beforehand. It was not an issue for me, and I decided that we should go to a movie and dinner. I figured that the movie would give us something to talk about during dinner. So we met. I don't even remember what movie we went to see, but this guy was nervous. REALLY nervous. So nervous he sweat. And sweat. A LOT of sweat. And it just kept coming. He also pet me. You read that right. He PET ME. He stroked my hair and told me it was pretty. I can't even begin to tell you how weird it was. All I can say is there was no dinner. I faked an illness after the movie and we went our separate ways. After that I realized that it was better to meet the person in question as soon as possible.

And a few dates later, I met Jeff. I do hope that my bad date in question managed to meet someone he connected with. He was a nice guy, just not for me.

Anyone feel like sharing? Any bad date stories??? I've got a few more up my sleeve.. and I'll share if you do!

2 comments:

Crankipantz said...

Bad date stories. Like the time I bought tickets to a comedy show (following dinner) and was SO bored on the date during dinner that I purposely blah blah blah'd through the beginning of the comedy show? And all of a sudden, at 5 past the comedy show, looked at my watch and said, "Oh...we've missed the show. I guess we'll just go home". There...I shared one.

Mary said...

LOL -- I remember that story about the guy who pet you! Too funny.